E-m10 kit lens question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, Mar 21, 2014.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    I have the E-PL5 with the kit lens and am thinking about the E-m10. Is the kit lens that comes with the E-m10 the same 14-42 that came with the E-PL5? If not, is it worth getting the new lens or should I just keep my old 14-42?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

2. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Where do you live? In the USA the kit lens is the 14-42IIR which should be the same as you got on your EPL5. In Europe (not sure if it is in all countries) the kit lens is the new 14-42 EZ Pancake lens. I just picked one up (had the 14-42IIR) and really like it - though you do have to accept that the some is electronic, not a manual zoom ring.

• Like Like x 1
  3. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Had the E-PL5 with kit. Bought the OM-D E-M10 body only, because I intended, eventually, to get the new EZ 14-42 and had the 17/2.8 to carry me through. E-PL5 didn't sell locally as system, so decided to sell E-PL5 body only and keep kit. Put on eBay, but didn't sell.

In USA Olympus is running March Madness sale with deep discounts on lenses when purchased with elect cameras, the OM-D E-M10 among them. Deep in like the EZ 14-42 is $249 instead of regular discounted price of $349! Today Olympus agreed to honor that price for me even though I purchased my E-M10 back at end of February! Very cool.

My recommendation to you is to order an OM-D E-M10 with the $249.99 EZ 14-42mm kit! Then sell your E-PL5. I liked the E-PL5, but I LOVE the E-M10 with it's built-in flash (will fire external flash), hot shoe, and built-in viewfinder. Didn't think I cared if camera had a VF or not, but now so glad I have one! And the E-M10 is STILL small, so no compromise! And with the EZ lens - like my 17mm, f/2.8 - it will be awesome! Having the in-camera Wi-Fi is amazing for me and with the EZ lens, not only can you remotely control settings on the E-M10, you can zoom the lens from your remote device (IOS and Android). What's not to love?

• Like Like x 2