E-M10, Image Stabilization Sensor Locked Up? Grinding Error 8261, 8262

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kroepuk, Apr 15, 2014.

1. kroepuk

kroepuk New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2014

I had a one month old E-M10, recently the camera started locking up out of nowhere.
    I got a strong feeling that it has something to do with the image stabilization.

You can hear clicking and grinding noise from the body and the lcd would locked up and goes blank.
    You have to try to switch on and off several times before the camera become usable again.
    When I checked the olympus secret menu, it logged error 8261 and 8262

Check out my video

What do you think happened? Anyone else have the same issue?
  2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    my em1 did that
    no shock endured ever in its life
    supposed to be on its way back from factory right now
  3. kroepuk

kroepuk New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2014
    Light Monkey, what did they say cause it? Any idea on the Error code?

My E-M10 is properly taken care of, no shock or mistreatment either.
    (Actually now that I think about this, the first week that I got the camera, I noticed similar issue, but after turn it off and on, it was okay)

I'm exchanging it with Crutchfield, (Good thing I bought from them and they have good customer service)
    However, it's on back-order, so no camera for a while : (

I had Pentax K-2000, Pentax K-X, Nikon D5100, Sony A65 previously and never had any issue with my camera until now
    I do like EM-10 for me to give it another try but kind of concerned now about the quality of Olympus.

Hopefully the replacement will be fine.
  4. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    i wasnt even able to access the hidden menu of em1

it came back from repair, with no notes on the repair sheet. it only said in general terms something like "repair : CCD" and "remove: obstruction". not sure what obstructed the sensor...but atleast the camera works
  5. kroepuk

kroepuk New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2014
    Thank You for your input...

Let's see if anyone else have similar issue.
  6. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    I don't have issues, only concerns about sensor not being locked in its place when turned off. As even when camera is in bag, it can flip on its side or around in car or on ground without any serious forces, but still knowing the sensor moves there is big fear factor.

Olympus has warned about cleaning sensor and that way damaging sensor when moving it. But thinking how much sensor moves when in shaky locations, like on speedboat, in bus/car, having a cold shaky hands etc.
  7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    I had a similar issue with an E-M5 that just came back from another repair at Precision. It did exactly what your E-M10 was doing, and it generated 8236 and 8261 error codes. Olympus said to send it back in for repairs. This does not sound like a problem that can be fixed in the field. glad to hear that you have the ability to do an exchange.