E-M10 II with 12-100 IS Pro, Image Stabilisizer questions

joerg218

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jörg
I recently were out with my loved 12-100 on my E-M10 II. Normally i use the 12-100 on my E-M1 because the better balance/handling, but i thought i use this combo too often and i have to go out with my little E-M10 again 😜
When i switch off the IS on the lens, on the E-M1 i can see that this also switch off the camera IBIS. On the E-M10 II the camera IBIS is not affected on switching IS on lens off. (and i can the IBIS hear working)
Is this normal? I thougth you only have dual IS or No IS. I know the E-M1 has further Stabilisation with this lens, but the E-M10 II has also got an firmware Update for the 12-100 and 300 4.0 to link the IBIS with lens IS.
Firmware on the cameras and 12-100 are the newest ones.

Anyone has an idea?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think on my EM1-mk1 and mk2, it is as you say, all or nothing. Sync IS or no IS at all.
I think on the EM10-mk2 it is the same. But, I will have to go play with my EM10 and 12-100 to verify.

joerg218

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jörg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
According to Olympus, the E-M10.2 is not Sync IS enabled. Where that leaves the lens IS switch I think can be discerned in Olympus' Operator Manual for the lens.
In the Manual i find the following Info:
OFF:Stabilizing functions in both the lens and camera are off.
But my E-M10 II does not react to the Switch on the Lens and SCP says IS-Auto and i still can hear the IBIS working...

joerg218

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jörg
OK, but for me it is not logical that different OM-D's have a different effect with the IS Switch. Because of that i would like to know why it is different.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
OK, but for me it is not logical that different OM-D's have a different effect with the IS Switch. Because of that i would like to know why it is different.
I assume it has to do with Sync IS and circuits present in some designs and not others as well as, perhaps, not wishing to place control for IS-ON in a place a non-savvy user (clearly not the likes of you) might not suspect. Rather like the confusion many novices register when they unknowingly deploy the focus clutch on lenses that have it.

But for the real answer, you'll just have to find the minutes for the meeting at Olympus that decided this particular issue. Otherwise, all is speculation.

joerg218

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jörg
Ok, i think it is not a big thing or problem that i would like to contact the Oly support. I thought that someone can explain the behavior.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
P7 of the lens manual tells us little more:dash2::
  • About the stabilizing functions
Please use the latest firmware for the camera. Operation of this function will change in the following cameras. For more information, please visit our home page.​
E-M5, E-M10 series, E-P series, E-PL series, E-PM series​
Looking at the model list above, Olympus clearly wants Sync-IS to remain a premium feature. My guess would be that the lens IS simply doesn’t operate on those models, therefore the switch on the lens is redundant in those situations. I’m not sure if there’s a way to know though as the sound of the lens IS seems indistinguishable from the camera IS on mine.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom