E-M10 II/III, E-PL8/9 sensors are same as the one in E-M5 II?

I know E-M1 I had a different 16MP sensor than E-M5 II. The 5 II's sensor showed less noise to my eyes and RAWs were generally cleaner too. I have sold that body now but looking at M10 II/III or one of the newer E-PLs if the sensor in them is same as E-M5 II? DXOmark shows very similar performance between 10 II and 5 II but they don't clearly state that the sensor is same in both. Can anyone confirm? I do care about slight noise improvement facilitated by new 16MP sensor.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
The E-M10.3 doesn't have an AA filter, I would think that the E-PL9 does not either, but I can't confirm. The E-M10.2 has the AA filter as does the E-PL8 to the best of my knowledge.

I believe it's the TruePic VIII that made that possible. The E-M5.2 has the TruePic VII and does have an AA filter.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
The Em1.1 used a Panasonic sensor modified to include phase detect AF. From memory it had slightly better dynamic range but slightly worse noise performance than the Sony-sensored Em5. Speculation at the time was that the increased noise may have been due to the phase detect AF system. It's difficult to be certain, but it appears that all other Oly cameras reverted to Sony chipsets. And if the problem actually WAS the phase detect, then you don't need to worry about it on the Em10's etc anyway.

Thanks. Great information from both of you!

I was curious about PL8/9 but somehow the PLs don't get much love here on this forum! I haven't seen one for sale here recently. I guess 10 II is my best bet.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom