1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10 IBIS: is it loose when camera is off?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dombi, Mar 21, 2014.

1. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    I have a question about my new E-M10.

One thing I noticed is when the camera is off, and I am walking with the camera, I can hear and also feel the internals of the camera moving around. My guess is that since the camera is off, the IBIS system is somehow "loose".

When the camera is on, this "looseness" is gone. It feels solid.

Is this right? Is that the IBIS system moving around inside the body?
    And if this is the case, should I be extra careful when carrying around the E-M10? Does it require extra care, protection when carrying around?

By the way, I love the camera.
    The IBIS is doing an amazing job. I am very impressed with it.

2. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    ...kind of. Yes, the sensor is gimballed when it's on. When it's off the sensor drops down and a little to the right (looking at the lens mount) and latches there.
    It's not the sensor that's bouncing around when the camera is off, it's something else inside the camera. Perhaps part the balancer used to move the sensor around.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kbouk

kbouk Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Greece
    Same thing happens to mine, if you take off the lens you can see the sensor unit moves around when the power is off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Really? The one I played with didn't move around with the power off.

5. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    It really depends how gentle you move it. If you grip the camera in one hand, while walking around, and your arm swings around some, you should notice it.

I am just wondering what are the experiences of other OM-D owners with this. The E-M5 owners probably have a lot more experience with this.

6. kbouk

kbouk Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2013
    Greece
    Exactly, the movement on EM1, EM5 is by far smaller, the first thing I have notice with EM10 without power is the noise from inside when you move it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    You know those $1 vending machines with the capsules that contain rubber balls? Shaking my E-M5 sounds like that; there's movement, but there's a stopper and it isn't a harsh stop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Dave
    I had never noticed that with my E-M10....but I am sure that I will from now on :cool:

• Like Like x 1