1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M10 Focus Peaking issue with Oly 17mm Lens

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kroepuk, May 20, 2014.

1. kroepuk

kroepuk New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2014
    Hi,
    When I used my 12-40mm Olympus lens, I can easily push back the focusing ring on the lens back, the display will show MF and focus peaking will activate.
    (Focus Peaking is turned on from the gear menu, and AF is set to S-AF)

Yesterday, I got a new 17mm Olympus Lens and somehow I can't activate the focus peaking doing the same thing as above.
    For me to do focus peaking, I have to actually set the camera AF to MF from the menu first, and I have to leave the focusing ring at auto focus.
    If I push back the focusing ring to MF, the focus peaking won't work?

I thought when I push back the focusing ring to MF the focus peaking should work at that point?

If I switch back to the 12-40 lens the focus peaking work as I mentioned above

Any idea what did I do wrong?

Thanks.

2. vloher

vloher New to Mu-43

Apr 1, 2014
    Apex, NC
    Vic Loher
    I only have the 17mm lens and it works the same as you described for your 17mm. I just gave up using focus peaking...just too much hassle. Don't use manual much anyways. I will be interested to hear other responses.

3. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I always set the movie button to change from AF to MF, then it's one push to switch with no menus. Switch to MF then turn focusing ring.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I don't always want peaking on with MF, so (on my E-M1) I have 1 button for peaking, one button for magnify, and one button for MF/AF (for other lenses).

Barry

5. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes - using the 17mm you need to either turn on FP or have a button dedicated to it. (I do as I also use FP for some manual lenses.) But just using the "clutch" on the lens won't turn it on like it does with the 12-40. Why - only Olympus knows!!!

6. kroepuk

kroepuk New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2014
    Swandy thank You for confirming this, I also found similar answer on https://www.flickr.com/groups/om-d_user/discuss/72157639333614096/
    This is kind of ridiculous, shouldn't a firmware update be able to fix this? Oh well, I guess I got to learn to work around this issue then. I'll do the S-AF/MF for now.
    I kind of don't want to assign a button just for focus peaking.

Thanks for all the replies