1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M10 Eyecup

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SVQuant, Jan 15, 2016.

1. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    So I just noticed that the eyecup on my E-M10 is missing. In all years of using a Nikon DSLR, I never lost an eyecup. So I am wondering if this a freak instance or something which occurs frequently. Olympus sells replacements for $20 and they can be ordered on eBay from Japanese sellers for under $10. If this is a common enough occurence, I should probably order more than one. Input from E-M10 owners would be greatly appreciated

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This will probably happen again with that particular design. I stuck some tape behind my old E-M5 one (pretty much same as the E-M10 VF) to make it tighter and it never fell off again. Haven't needed to with the E-M1 though.

3. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks. Tape makes sense. Looking at the slot without the eyecup, I take it that you added tape to tighten the fit in the slot? I'll order one from eBay and tape it in. Hopefully that will prevent any further losses.

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I used to lose my E-M5 one all the time, then replaced it with one from the E-M10 and haven't had any issues! Still...I have a couple of spares in my photo cabinet...I'd say order at least one extra...that way, if you lose one, you can toss another one on and keep shooting while you order another one haha.

5. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    EM5II and EM10II now share the same eyecup, and it has a little clip at the bottom to stop it sliding off.

So yes, with this design Olympus acknowledges it was a problem before.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Two it is. On their way from Japan by some form of sea packet. I'll stop by the local camera store tomorrow and see if they have one in stock to use in the interim.

Good to know. I take it that the new ones do not fit the old bodies. Now that I know it is an issue, I'll try to rig something to reduce the chances of this happening again.

7. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That's good to hear...what I wish they did, though, would be to offer to retrofit previous owners' cameras with the new eyecup (since it's a well-known design flaw)...stuff like that goes a long ways for the reputation and customer satisfaction of companies. I bought a total of 5 eyecups...kind of ridiculous when you think about it haha.

8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Awesome...did you order the EPL-14? I've been satisfied with this design...when I used to go to Japan regularly, I'd always stop in at the camera stores and see if they had some...they were dirt cheap, less than $5 USD

9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yip, tape to add friction.

10. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    That's the one. Got them for $9/each + free shipping. I think it is what came on my camera as well. A trip to Japan to load up on camera gear seems to be a good plan :) The number of local camera stores has really gone down here in the US. The closest one is actually pretty good, but the salespeople have the worst attitude. Always hate going in there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Awesome! Yeah, that's the factory eye cup on the E-M10. I remember before the 10 was released, we had nothing but the junk that came with the E-M5. Then I was over in Japan one day and saw a brand new 10 and realized the eyecup fit...that discovery revolutionized it for us haha (I instantly posted on here)...and haha...totally worth going to Japan just for the camera deals!!! ;) Plus, you know...it's an amazing country!

And that's too bad about your local store...I don't get how they can get away with providing bad service, when that's pretty much the ONLY thing that should be keeping them in business these days (you know the whole "sure, it's more expensive, but here you get friendly, local service, instead of dealing with a big multinational online" thing). I've bought a lot of grey market stuff online and haven't had any issues yet...it's always an option! ;)