1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10 Electrical problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by fof9l, Jun 23, 2014.

1. fof9l

fof9l New to Mu-43

Mar 2, 2014
    Toronto, Canada, and Bournemouth UK
    Nigel Blumenthal
    I've been having a couple of issues with my (otherwise wonderful) E-M10, all of which seem to relate back to possible electrical problems.

First, about a month ago, a 16GB memory card got trashed. Suddenly the camera refused to write to it, then the card was not readable by the camera or the computer. Would not format in either device.

I threw out the card, and was forgetting about it when... today, the camera showed my 32GB card as "full", even though it was only about one-third full (subsequently confirmed by checking on the computer). I record in JPEG and RAW, and the last RAW was written, but the corresponding JPEG was not. Switched off the camera, then on again, card still shows full. Switched off camera, left for a few minutes, then turned on again, and battery was dead. Replaced battery, replaced card, camera now works OK. When we got back home, I rescued all the photos from the card, then (following tech advice from camera store where purchased) re-formatted card in camera. The card is now showing a capacity of 1160 shots at the setting I'm using, which once again equates to about 11 GB (approx. 7MB + 13MB = 20MB per shot). That was the approximate number of shots that were on the card when it showed "full".

I'm wondering if there's some sort of electrical fault in the camera that is causing these glitches. Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue?

Thanks

2. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I have no problem with my EM10, what kind of card/brand you have?

3. fof9l

fof9l New to Mu-43

Mar 2, 2014
    Nigel Blumenthal
    The card in question (that gives inaccurate space-left readings) is a Sony 32 GB; there's also a SanDisk 16GB (which is performing fine at the moment) and the card that got trashed last month was called Wintec. Thanks.

4. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Have had the EM10 since its release and never had an issue with it mis-reading a memory card. Were the cards formatted IN THE CAMERA before you started using them? Not doing this - either formatting them in a computer or another camera - is known to cause all sorts of read/write issues.

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
  6. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    Problems with the SD cards seems a more likely explanation to me. quality varies hugely + strange things can happen when reading/writing/formatting on a computer.

• Like Like x 1
  7. fof9l

fof9l New to Mu-43

Mar 2, 2014
    Nigel Blumenthal
    Thanks for your reply, swandy. Yes, they were originally formatted in the camera. Subsequently, the 32GB card was formatted on the computer, and then re-formatted in camera; formatting on the computer simply results in a blank card, but doing the format again in-camera adds the "DCIM" file firectory and its structure, so it would obviously have to be done that way.

8. fof9l

fof9l New to Mu-43

Mar 2, 2014
    Nigel Blumenthal

Thanks - I'm trying that test now. That was a good observation, but I think the cards are OK - even when the camera was showing "Card Full", the computer was showing that there was plenty of space on the card and, with the card in the computer's SD drive, I was able to copy files to it from the computer. Strange...

9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Ug... Wintec... I know that name. I believe those are low-end Toshiba-based cards. Mind you, I've even had a reasonably well respected Kingston CF card go bad in a Canon 1-series slr...

Since then I've stuck to Sandisk and Lexar.

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You said "originally" formatted in the camera...how about the last time you copied the images off the card, did you then return the card to the camera and then formatted it?

I don't use "Erase All" or use the computer to erase images or format the card. It is ALWAYS formatted in the camera right after I've copied the images from the card...I've only lost one card in about 20 years of using memory cards (it was an early 2meg card that became unreliable).