E-M10/ E-M5 Mark II/ E-M1 & Lack of AA Filter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigboysdad, Sep 28, 2015.

1. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Has anyone bought any of these cameras specifically for the lack of AA Filter? If so, how did you find the difference in image output, specifically, are the images noticeably different, ie sharper, & do they display more resolution and/ or contrast than older models such as E-M5/E-P5, or is it nothing to write home about? This is one factor in considering whether to upgrade my E-P5, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Yes I read that Ming Thein article, but thought that it was subsequently established that the E-P5 instead had a low pass filter.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    On the Internet, people stare into their belly button and make pronouncements in forums; nothing is established. The E-M5II will often give sharper pictures due to its better IBIS. It's a hobby. You want a new camera, buy a new camera. Don't rationalize it by counting how many pixels can dance on the head of a pin.

5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Yes, thank you for that.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How's your belly button looking this morning?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I noticed a small but significant difference going from an E-M5 to the E-M1, but only when pixel peeping at 100% with a sharp prime. I upgraded for other reasons, AA filter strength did not factor into my decision at all. The bigger difference is between my GM5 and E-M1, I guess the GM5 AA filter is designed for video and so is a bit stronger.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Thanks wjiang