E-M10 - can't figure out how to set it for Black and White shooting

dpswbab

Mu-43 Veteran
When I follow the instructions in the manual for 'picture mode' in an attempt to set 'monotone', I only have the numbered options like 'portrait' and 'natural, plus one for 'ART1'. Can you tell me what I have set incorrectly so the other options don't show up? Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

MoonMind

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Matt
It's a bit strange that it doesn't show up on the picture menu by default, but there's an option to actually set the options displayed in the main menu.

To make sure you get it set correctly, do all of the following (you may have done part of that already - but I can't be sure, so here goes):
1) Go to the main menu.
2) Go to the Settings menu.
3) Activate Menu Display (the two cogwheels; the symbol will pop up on the right main menu column)
4) Enter the menu and choose submenu D (Disp etc.).
5) Choose Picture Mode Settings
6) Activate all modes you want to be able to use.
7) Exit the menu (tab on shutter button)
8) Hit OK; if the SCP is activated (and unchanged), the picture mode setting can be changed in the upper right corner.

Just went through it again - it works. Generally, activating the SCP puts a lot of helpful information on the back LCD - if you haven't activated it by now, I strongly advise you to do that.

M.

dpswbab

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks, Moonmind.

The key was going into the Picture Mode Settings. I had all of the other stuff right, but I didn't have monotone set there. I appreciate the detailed instructions.

MoonMind

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Matt
Very much welcome - I wasn't sure at which point in the whole process the problem was located, so I gave you a walkthrough. The factory settings Olympus chooses for the E-M10 are less than intuitive in my opinion - it's several steps away from performing at its most convincing out of the box.

But once set up, it's a really nifty little camera - it gives its bigger siblings a run for their money (which is reflected by the fact that the E-M5's price has actually come down quite a bit ...).

M.

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't blame anyone asking questions on settings, the cam menu is very confusing!

No it's advanced, all you have to do is RTFM. I have NEVER needed to ask someone else how a function worked on an Olympus camera because I've had the manual read BEFORE I bought the camera; that way when I went to the store to buy it I could put the demo camera through its paces before I put the money down.

I've seen users from other brands especially complain because the menu on their dSLR was simpler...as someone who uses a Canon at work I can change settings on the Olympus that I CAN'T change on the Canon, that's why the Canon menu is simpler!

These days though there's videos online from people who explain every feature of the Olympus menu for those who don't bother to read the manual.

MoonMind

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Matt
The menu is extensive - to make things available, it has to be. On the other hand, it can be daunting. What I do is, I pick my way through it when I first set up the camera - it takes time and the occasional peek into the manual, but that way, I know my way around the camera. The Olympus menu actually lends itself very well to that procedure - neither the (otherwise very competent!) Nikon nor the Panasonic (likewise) menus are that well documented *on board*. I think it all depends on expectations and experiences. I have come to like the Olympus menus best because they're quite logical and consistent, i.e. I find what I look for in the place I expect it to be. That approach neither works for Nikon nor for Panasonic. Olympus could use a hand in naming menu entries so - Nikon and Panasonic do a better job there. The best menu I have found resides on a Canon, though - the S95 is really simple to set up and quick to adapt.

As always, YMMV - and I think it's only legitmate that preferences reign supreme. It's just not worth complaining - choices implicate adaption. If you can't stand it, move on - there's no two ways about it.

M.

dpswbab

Mu-43 Veteran
No it's advanced, all you have to do is RTFM. I have NEVER needed to ask someone else how a function worked on an Olympus camera because I've had the manual read BEFORE I bought the camera; that way when I went to the store to buy it I could put the demo camera through its paces before I put the money down.

I've seen users from other brands especially complain because the menu on their dSLR was simpler...as someone who uses a Canon at work I can change settings on the Olympus that I CAN'T change on the Canon, that's why the Canon menu is simpler!

These days though there's videos online from people who explain every feature of the Olympus menu for those who don't bother to read the manual.

I think you're being a little harsh on those of us who aren't as smart as you. Before posting my question, I did read the manual and search the internet, but I didn't find what I needed. Moonmind gave me exactly what I had been looking for. I have found that the Oly menus are a bit daunting and the manual somewhat opaque, largely because the camera is so extensively customizable and because settings often interact with one another. My Nikon is much easier to figure out, but I am using the E-M10 much more because of its portability.

Latest threads

Top Bottom