1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M10 Bracketing Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dylanm, Jan 30, 2016.

1. dylanm

dylanm Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016
    Is there any way to set the camera to take all 3 exposures with just one press of the shutter without having to re-focus either? Currently when I exposure bracket I have to hold the shutter down and it will also re-focus. Is there a setting that I am missing to make it take all three with one click (without holding the shutter) and keeping the same focus point as the first exposure?

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, S-AF or C-AF enabled?
    Try S-AF.

Barry

3. dylanm

dylanm Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016
    Yes, S-AF is on but still have to hold the shutter down.

4. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I don't have the camera with me now to check the details, but as far as I remember you can set up the custom timer drive mode with the same number of shots as the bracket. Then you can just press the shutter once and it will take all the shots.

I don't think that would avoid repeated focusing though. I guess you could prefocus and switch to MF if that is practical in your shooting situation.

You could also check out the HDR options. Not the in camera HDR1 and HDR2, rather the other options that provides a form of exposure bracketing. However the bracket step options are more restricted than "normal" focus bracketing.

5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Yes. On my E-M5 you activate Bracket "BKT" as well as "Hi" shooting modes. Hold the shutter button down and it runs through say, 3 frames and stops. A nice solution.
    Set the number of frames and step size in the bracket menu. It's a shame that bracket mode does not have a Hi option built in. Meaning I need to create a Myset to activate both BKT and Hi together. They could also add a "1 press" mode to avoid the need to hold the release, or press it n times. Ideally, if Olympus were better at usability, they'd give us a BKT SCP. So when Bracket is active, the SCP offers these things as quick options on the touch screen. As you might and might not need them for each picture. Buck up Olympus!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  6. dylanm

dylanm Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 15, 2016
    Hmm seems more complicated than it should be. Fuji does this easily. Thanks for the help!

7. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I just tried to find a way to get the EM5 to shoot all the bracket frames with a momentary press. But with no success. But I find it's OK to press and hold. As it stops after the frames are done.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016