E-M10 battery recommendations

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DaninFLA, Apr 6, 2015.

1. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    Just purchased a E-M10 and should be here this week. it comes with the OEM battery and charger, but I want to get at least 1 spare. Recommendations on which third party brand to buy?

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I have a Wasabi (also sold as Wasabi Trends) that seems fine, I've had a few for different bodies in the past with out issue. Also used Progo and Waston for other systems.

3. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    Wendy
    I bought a Watson battery for my E-M10 (from B&H) and it worked great for almost exactly a year, but now it won't hold a charge at all. I don't recommend it.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I've been buying third party PEN BLS1/BLS5 batteries since 2010. My experience with them is they don't last much past a year. They either start swelling up, don't have any capacity, or are just dead. I've probably bought at least 10, and have 5 still working, with 4 of them being Maximal Power units that I picked up last year. We will see how this brand holds up. The economics works for me. Let's say I've spend $80 on these cheap guys, which is enough to buy an original Olympus battery and a nice lunch.

Since my original Olympus batteries from 2011 and 2012 still work fine, I bought a "new" Olympus BLS5 off ebay from $20 last year. These are batteries that must have sat in inventory and are too old for Olympus to sell. Mine has a date code of 10-2012, but it seems to work OK.

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I just bought a new E-M10 that came with a battery dated 2010! Works fine though. I picked up an Oly BLS-50 as a second battery for it. I used to use third-party batteries (BLS-1 for my old E-PM1) till one died suddenly, and a second one swelled up and died, both after about a year of use. The one that swelled up was Maximal Power. Now I only use OEM.

6. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    Thx all!

7. gobeatty

gobeatty Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2014
  8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I have two wasabi batteries. They swell after use and difficult to take out from the camera (E-M10 & E-PM2)

9. ErnieH

ErnieH Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I had one Wasabi battery swell. Amazon replaced immediately. I'm over a year with 3 others and they are perfect.

10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I bought two Patona Premium and after a year still work fine.