1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10: Battery and zoom questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SVQuant, Apr 18, 2016.

1. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    On a recent road trip, I again noticed something odd which I had seen before with my E-M10. Firstly, with years of using Nikons before switching to m43, I have the habit of never switching off the camera. After running out of battery a couple of times with my E-M10, I have gotten better about turning off the camera when not in use. However, I will still sometimes forget to turn it off. With certain zoom lenses (O9-18 and O40-150R) mounted, when I bring up the camera again, the battery will be dead. This has never happened with either of my primes mounted. It happened on 3 separate occasions recently and (at least 2 of the 3 times) the battery was still showing a full charge when I had put the camera down. IN one case, I had shot less than 10 pictures on a fully charged battery. Luckily, I have gotten the message about battery life, so I had a spare available and no shots were missed.

So, my questions:
    • Has anyone else noticed this?
    • Clearly, the camera is doing something while sitting there (or hanging around my neck) which is draining battery. Does anyone know what it is doing and if I can turn this thing off? I usually shoot with the rear lcd turned off.
    I would love to find a solution while I continue to train myself to switch the camera on and off every single time.

2. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I have never noticed anything like this with any lens on my EM10 (including the 40-150R of the two you mention) - when I run out of battery it always seems to follow naturally from heavy use of the camera, not from the camera being idle.

What setting do you have for "sleep" in Menu D? I have this at 1 minute, I can't remember if that was the default or if I changed it myself. Maybe you have it set to "off". That doesn't seem to be a complete explanation as it doesn't account for different behaviour depending on the lens.

Of course the drawback to a short "sleep" setting is that you may have to repeatedly flick the on-off lever if you are shooting a lot but with frequent breaks of more than 1 minute (or whatever your chosen setting is). But it does avoid serious consequences from forgetting to switch the camera off.

3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The zooms shouldn't have any impact on battery life. I used a 40-150 R on my E-M10 for a year and had no dead battery issues. I set my cameras to go to sleep after 5 minutes, the lens isn't moved to park focus when the camera is switched off and I get 2-300 photos per battery charge.
    I suggest you contact Olympus.

4. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Maybe you have continuous AF on and the camera is continuously focusing anytime something happens in front of it? This would be especially bad if you were wearing the camera and walking around with it and it was still "on" (not asleep), I should think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    If it's just sitting there, there's hardly any reason why the battery should be drained; however, the camera senses movement (and button and dial touches as well as screen touches) and turns on if it's moved or otherwise "engaged"; since you turned off the rear screen, you might not notice that. Whenever the camera turns on, I.B.I.S. is engaged - ever so briefly, but nonetheless noticeable. All this *can* actually drain the battery - I've had this happen to me once or twice because I had forgotten to switch off the camera before putting it into the bag on longer walks. It doesn't have anything specific to do with zooms, though - apart from the fact that zooms are usually bigger and a bit more prone to being touched inadvertedly.

With the E-M10 which starts pretty quickly, there's no real need to keep it switched on anyway - so getting used to switching it off is what I'd recommend.

M.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I agree that switching the camera off is a good idea and I need to be better at doing that. Nonetheless, I find the situation a little curious. After 200+ images, I can understand it, but only a few shots, just don't get it.

The 10 shot example happened at Grand Canyon. We hopped onto the park shuttle for a short ride after a couple of miles of walking. Just before the bus came, I switched batteries and took a few shots. Got on the bus with the camera around my neck, got off at the next point (less than 5 minutes) and looked at the camera and it was dead. All batteries are Olympus OEM and had been fully charged the night before.

My settings: Focus is usually S-AF, sleep is set for 5 minutes and auto-power off at 30 minutes. The back-list LCD is set to "Hold". These sound like pretty normal settings. And I disabled the record button because I was concerned about accidently recording videos. Question: Does touch AF remain on if the LCD is off? This may explain the issue or at least some part of it.

Not sure I know how to do this. Couldn't find a setting either. How can I turn off focus parking?

Sounds like this is an uncommon occurrence: I wonder if it could be same battery doing it every time. I had not thought of checking that, but I'll keep an eye for it in the future.

7. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I think that is worth doing. Your Grand Canyon example is rather drastic, I suspect that if there was some combination of settings that systematically produced such odd behaviour we would see more complaints on the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    In the A, Gears, AF/MF menu, there is a Full-Time AF setting. With this description: If On is selected, auto focus will work before pressing shutter button. So long as the camera is on, it will try to focus. Set it to OFF.

9. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    I guess so. I did not find anything like this when I searched after I noticed this behavior earlier. Given how many times it happened on this trip, I wanted to make sure that I was not missing something obvious. I'll make a note of which battery was in the camera if/when it happens again.

That one was already "Off". The reset lens setting is "On". Not sure what that does. Should that be turned off as well?

10. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    If you use power zooms, this setting resets them to the shortest focal length when switched on. Shouldn't have any significance in this case.

Did the 10 shot occurrence happen quickly or over time?

M.

11. SVQuant

Sep 20, 2015
    Sameer
    Ok, so that does not impact me since I do not have any power zooms.

The 10 shot occurrence was no more than 15 minutes from inserting a fully charged battery in the camera to the battery being dead. I know that the battery was fully charged because I charged till the charger light went off and also the camera showed it as full battery when I inserted it in. The other two instances were both around 100 shots. In one case, the battery was showing a full charge before it died and in the other case, it was showing 2 out of 3 bars.

12. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Okay, I do agree that that looks buggy indeed - I'd actually have the camera checked; could be a short circuit somewhere, and as those things go, they can have nasty effects (things tend to get hot in a hurry - causing melting or even burning).

M.

• Agree Agree x 1