1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M10 back button focus?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jurgen, Jun 27, 2014.

1. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Hi all!

Sorry if this is redundant, but after scouring the manual online (and without access to an E-M10 in person), is it possible to set up "back button focus," or divorce autofocus from the shutter button?

Don't even need a walkthrough right now, just a yes/no. About to pull the trigger on an E-M10 but need to know one way or the other first!

Cheers,
    jurgen

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I think you program a button to AE/AF lock and change the focus to MF. Don't quote me on that though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    Yes you set the AF trigger on a separate button

• Like Like x 1
  4. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    All the Oly OM-D cameras are highly customizable and include the ability to divorce autofocus from the shutter button (in more than one way).

• Like Like x 1
  5. LeMenhir

LeMenhir New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2014
    N'Awlins, USA
    Nathan
    Ned explains how to do it in Post #10 here-

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64478&p=643324#post643324

On my E-M10, I've set my back button focus to Fn2, right next to the shutter. (I find the Fn1 button awkward to use.) Since I have to move my index finger back and forth between the shutter and Fn2, it's a bit slow if I want to refocus and trigger the shutter instantly. But for most situations it works fine. If I want to focus and shoot quickly, I'll use the C-AF setting or go back to the default S-AF (shutter half-press focus) setting. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Have I mentioned that the people on this forum are a truly wonderful and helpful bunch? The best photography site on the web. Thanks, all.