E-M10 back button focus?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jurgen, Jun 27, 2014.

1. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Hi all!

Sorry if this is redundant, but after scouring the manual online (and without access to an E-M10 in person), is it possible to set up "back button focus," or divorce autofocus from the shutter button?

Don't even need a walkthrough right now, just a yes/no. About to pull the trigger on an E-M10 but need to know one way or the other first!

Cheers,
    jurgen

2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I think you program a button to AE/AF lock and change the focus to MF. Don't quote me on that though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Leif

Leif Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2012
    Germany
    Leif
    Yes you set the AF trigger on a separate button

• Like Like x 1
  4. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    All the Oly OM-D cameras are highly customizable and include the ability to divorce autofocus from the shutter button (in more than one way).

• Like Like x 1
  5. LeMenhir

LeMenhir New to Mu-43

Mar 27, 2014
    N'Awlins, USA
    Nathan
    Ned explains how to do it in Post #10 here-

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64478&p=643324#post643324

On my E-M10, I've set my back button focus to Fn2, right next to the shutter. (I find the Fn1 button awkward to use.) Since I have to move my index finger back and forth between the shutter and Fn2, it's a bit slow if I want to refocus and trigger the shutter instantly. But for most situations it works fine. If I want to focus and shoot quickly, I'll use the C-AF setting or go back to the default S-AF (shutter half-press focus) setting. Hope that helps.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    Have I mentioned that the people on this forum are a truly wonderful and helpful bunch? The best photography site on the web. Thanks, all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.