E-M10 aperture control stuck

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by xower, Aug 21, 2016.

1. xower

xower New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2016
    yesterday I was attending a sport event with my girfriend shooting the camera. After I was done competing I myself wanted to take some shots, when I noticed that aperture on the m.zuiko 45 mm f/1,8 wont work. I could set whatever f-number I wanted on the camera dial, but the aperture was stuck at wide open. I thought that it might be failure of the lens, but it does the same thing with the 14-42mm f/3,5-5,6 II R. So it's something wrong with the camera operating the lens aperture ring I guess.

I have tried to remove the battery. Tried a different battery. I have set the option reset lens after start on/off. Nothing worked so far. When I take a shot at f/1,8 or f/22 the DOF stays the same though the exposure is changed (I thing that's strange because the aperture should control the amout of the light going onto the sensor, but I guess the sensor compensates for preview in any way).

Has anyone met the same problem, or better have you any idea what might be the solution to this? Thank you for answers and please excuse my rusty english. Jan.
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    What exactly makes you think the aperture is stuck? If you look into the lens the aperture is supposed to be fully open all the time unless you are previewing DOF or it is in the middle of exposing a photo. Changing the aperture won't stop it being fully open.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    As @Growltiger@Growltiger said, normally the aperture is wide open. If your shots are still correctly exposed, then you do not have a problem. If on the other hand, all your shots are coming out terribly over exposed, then your aperture is not working correctly. First place to check if that is the case is that all the contact pins of the lens mount on the camera body look normal (none bent, none pressed down further than the others, etc.).