E-M10 and LR 4

kgeissler

Mu-43 Regular
I just got the E-M10 and have Lightroom 4.4 on my computer. I can't see how to update LR to enable editing the RAW photos of the E-M10. Do I have to buy LR5 to be able to edit the RAW pics or is there a way to do it in LR4?

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would guess there's a workaround with the latest version of ACR. I believe I've read posts here outlining how to do this, but I've been a pretty prompt LR upgrader so I haven't had to figure it out personally.

kgeissler

Mu-43 Regular

Janders

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Another cost free solution would be to use Olympus viewer 3 and batch convert the RAW files to 16 bit TIFFs with EXIF. Then you can import into LR4. I do this with my E-M1 files. It is slow, but you will obtain Olympus JPG colours in the TIFFs for further tweaking in LR.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
And hold on to LR 4 until?

Upgrading from LR 4 to LR 5 is $79. From LR 5 to LR 6 (when available) would also be $79. You can only "update" from the previous release. So if LR 6 is out moving from LR4 to LR 6 would be the full price of LR6.

The longest part of upgrading between LR releases is the download time. Having the new catalog import and update the files in the previous catalog usually is quick.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another cost free solution would be to use Olympus viewer 3 and batch convert the RAW files to 16 bit TIFFs with EXIF. Then you can import into LR4. I do this with my E-M1 files. It is slow, but you will obtain Olympus JPG colours in the TIFFs for further tweaking in LR.
You would be able to read the files but you won't have the full Lightroom controls over it.

The only way to be able to post-process the files with LR4 is to convert them with DNG converter 8.4.
If you are OK to use DNG instead of RAW, it may be a acceptable solution.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
And hold on to LR 4 until?

Upgrading from LR 4 to LR 5 is $79. From LR 5 to LR 6 (when available) would also be $79. You can only "update" from the previous release. So if LR 6 is out moving from LR4 to LR 6 would be the full price of LR6.

The longest part of upgrading between LR releases is the download time. Having the new catalog import and update the files in the previous catalog usually is quick.

Are you sure? I have used non-sequential upgrade disk serial numbers to upgrade to a current version. In other words, I bet you could go from 4 to 6 without having to buy 5.

Hyubie

Unique like everyone else
Real Name
Herbert
Wow - i thought you only needed to update the ACR (abobe raw) thingy, and don't need to update to newer lightroom versions if u don't need the new features. Bummer.

Sent from my iPhone

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
Wow - i thought you only needed to update the ACR (abobe raw) thingy, and don't need to update to newer lightroom versions if u don't need the new features. Bummer.

ACR is built-in to Lightroom. It can't be updated separately. But it's not really any different than trying to use Photoshop CS5 with a newer camera. You need CS 6 for the latest ACR to work, and you need Lightroom 5.x to be able to update to the current Lightroom.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Are you sure? I have used non-sequential upgrade disk serial numbers to upgrade to a current version. In other words, I bet you could go from 4 to 6 without having to buy 5.

Years ago Adobe would let you upgrade from any previous release to the current release provided you had a legitimate license number for the old release. But a couple of years back Adobe changed the upgrade policy. You can only upgrade (low cost) between current and previous release. To move from older releases to current release is not a half price upgrade. You have to pay full price to move from older releases to current release.

So with Apple now making new OS releases free, Mac owners need to move to Mavericks and move their LR release to 5.4 to get full support for all the E-M bodies. There are lots of nice features in LR 5 not in previous releases.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
Years ago Adobe would let you upgrade from any previous release to the current release provided you had a legitimate license number for the old release. But a couple of years back Adobe changed the upgrade policy. You can only upgrade (low cost) between current and previous release. To move from older releases to current release is not a half price upgrade. You have to pay full price to move from older releases to current release.

So with Apple now making new OS releases free, Mac owners need to move to Mavericks and move their LR release to 5.4 to get full support for all the E-M bodies. There are lots of nice features in LR 5 not in previous releases.

I reiterate that I have recently installed LR5 with another disc (which by the way was also an upgrade disc) earlier than v4.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Must own previous version of Lightroom

If folks can get upgrades for half price for any prior release....GREAT! Did not see the word "any" in their wording. Adobe was very specific on this a couple of years ago about Photoshop 5 upgrades. Upgrades where only from the prior release...not any previous release. I did add the bold in the following quote.

Owners of a CS5 or CS5.5 suite edition qualify for upgrade pricing to a CS6 suite edition. Owners of an individual CS5 or CS5.5 product qualify for upgrade pricing to the same product but not to a suite edition. Any version earlier than CS5 will not be eligible for upgrade pricing.
http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.html#upgrade-eligibility

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I ran into something like that with PSE. I remember thinking I might be able to get upgrade pricing for PSE 5 a while back and found that they weren't going to give me upgrade pricing for a version that old. :smile: Seemed fair to me so I watched Amazon until the price took a nose dive and grabbed a copy of the current version at a great price.

Latest threads

Top Bottom