E-M10 10 Mark III (mk3) Shutter Release Button - Why 3 Positions?

LineDance

New to Mu-43
Have an Olympus E-M10 III, and not happy with the shutter button. Have stopped using it because of this.

Is this normal? Any idea why? Have not been able to test against another Mark III, and unlikely to be able to do so for a few more months.

Have compared with E-M10 II, E-PL7 and 8, and many other consumer cameras (Canon, Sony, Panasonic) over the years, which all have common place ‘two position’ shutter button. Half push for AF, fully depress for shutter release. Easy to describe, easy to do.

E-M1 II, Like Canon Pro Bodies have a different push thru shutter button without a physical indent feeling at half push or shutter release. From memory they use magnets to detect position - no feel of halfway AF or RELEASE position.

I find my E-M10 III has a strange 3 position shutter button. Physically has a barely perceptible 2 position button (barely detect a half press via feel), with a hard stop at full depression. That might seem normal, but feels different to typical consumer cameras, more soft.

However, Mark III acts (behaves) like a 3 position button. Meaning that just gently touching the shutter button lightly causes AF. Getting to half press position, does nothing different. Pushing further, beyond the half push does nothing. A some point just before full depression, it then fires, but without a physical feeling.

It’s disconcerting for me in use. Used in isolation, on its own, one gets used to it, but swapping between other cameras it catches me out, leading to jerky technique, and an overly sensitive release point that leads to multiple inadvertent shots in AF-S.

Welcome others thoughts and experiences.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
While I never used an E-M10 Mark III, have you had the chance to check the shutter button on another body? I mean what you are describing, at least to me, doesn't sound like a normal behavior. I'd even go so far and say the button might be defective, especially because you stated the camera doesn't really seem to engage the AF.

Latest threads

Top Bottom