E-M10 – Tips and resources for video

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PatrickNSF, Feb 12, 2014.

1. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been using an E-M10 for about a week and am generally pleased with the photo taking experience, but I'm struggling a bit with the video functionality. I'm coming from a NEX (and still use a RX100 and A77) in which the video was fairly straightforward. What I'm finding here is that my video, though 1080p, seems pretty soft. Part of it is the C-AF, which doesn't seem to hold focus, but I'm not sure what else is causing it. I didn't expect the video to be on par with the Sony's, but the difference is more significant than I expected.

If anyone has any tips, threads or resources they can point me to (for any of the OMDs) I'd appreciate it. I've been looking around EOSHD and experimenting with manual settings. Video is of secondary importance to me, and I can always use the RX100, but I would like to see if I can improve the quality of what I'm getting from the OMD a bit. Thanks.
  2. jurgen

jurgen Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2014
    I think if it's viable for you, you're always best suited to manually focus with video (this is doubly true if you're doing any sort of "formal" shooting, like narrative/documentary work).

I shoot full manual on my E-M1, including ISO and white balance (otherwise you'll see it change mid-shot). I shoot in Vivid with contrast dialed back by one.

Your best bet is to experiment a bit and use the PP tools available to you in your NLE. I post-sharpen with a +5 or a +7 usually, and do some minor grading (sometimes using FilmConvert).

Best of luck to you!
    • Like Like x 1