1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 with 12-40 went bananas.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Just received the 12-40, what a beaut.

Veeery strange, the first couple of times I assembled it to the the camera it went bananas.

Controls had a mind of their own, it was AF'ing and beeping by itself, my finger no where near the shutter button.

Please don't ask for specifics, it all happened too quick, I removed the battery, seems to be OK now.

Just as an aside, much prefer the combo without the grip, it's faaaaaaaaaaar to big a lump with it.

2. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    You mean you've had this lens a day and it hasn't fallen to bits yet? (neither has mine after 3 months :big grin:)

3. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    hmmm seems the camera and lens combo is so sexy your local poltergeist need a go. :eek:

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Let me guess. You had the HLD-7 grip attached & without knowing it you may have been pressing on the shutter button of it (even though you may have switched it to lock). If that is pressed while trying to focus with the top shutter butter it will fire a shot straight away (at least it does with HLD-6 & 4 grips). Or was the touch screen set to fire upon touching? I hope you turn off your camera when changing lenses as it is much safer.

Anyhow, enjoy that lovely lens!

5. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Yeah I'm 90% certain it was YOU and not the camera that caused that. If in doubt I'd do a complete system reset and start over. And I also DON"T recommend changing lenses with it powered up.

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I DID NOT FIT THE 12-40 with the camera powered up, sorry if I confused people.

The grip was fitted, and yes not locked, so that could account for the freaky AF'ing and multiple shot taking.

The touch screen was NOT on.

Other strange thing were also happening, the bracketing was set to plus/minus 1, although bracketing was OFF in the menu.

The Fn1 button was not working.

OK....some down to me possibly, but the camera was playing up, as I said removing the battery corrected it.

It's been fine since.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The camera being a computer in reality can be fowled up in its operating system just like any other (microsoft :wink: ) computer with unexpected button sequences & you resetting it with the removal of the battery is a fix I've had to do with the E-M5 on the odd occasion too, so hopefully everything will be fine now.