E-M1 vs E-M1 mk II C-AF, Round 1: "Indoor Agility"

zippo88

Mu-43 Regular
Since you have to buy all new lenses guess it's a perfect opportunity to change systems. If you have any SHG lenses I'll take them off your hands.
Since you have to buy all new lenses guess it's a perfect opportunity to change systems. If you have any SHG lenses I'll take them off your hands.
Sure! if you want to buy my lenses for a fair price. ill gladly leave this system now... Im amazed that you don't get that this is really just a firmware restriction. Sure, the lenses will never work to the same speed as the new lenses with faster mechanisms, but they would still perform procap.. the same as four thirds lenses still have working af, albeit slower than modern m43. This is a sales tactic. Plain and simple. BTW What SHG lenses do you want to purchase? I have the Mark 2 if you want that as well?

zippo88

Mu-43 Regular
"Non-perfectly performing" in this case means not working and a string of complaints. The mechanical issue relates to the speed that the lens stops down, in particular to smaller apertures. This is why f/8 is as small as is allowed when using the feature. Older lenses had no need to do this so quickly. The Olympus lenses meet the required speed. There is no evil plot.
I understand where you're coming from. but feel more long term oly users have been negatively impacted by this. especially when you consider the high prices of the 4/3 shg lineup. Do you not think they're receiving any complaints about it not working at all on some lenses then? Can you answer me honestly, in saying that you don't think they would satisfy more customers by enabling it (although somewhat restricted) on 43 lenses. Im sure I'm not the only one upset about this.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I understand where you're coming from. but feel more long term oly users have been negatively impacted by this. especially when you consider the high prices of the 4/3 shg lineup. Do you not think they're receiving any complaints about it not working at all on some lenses then? Can you answer me honestly, in saying that you don't think they would satisfy more customers by enabling it (although somewhat restricted) on 43 lenses. Im sure I'm not the only one upset about this.
I understand perfectly why you are annoyed. The problem is that it can never work on those lenses, so there will never be a firmware change to enable it. The lenses would need to be taken back and changed to have new aperture mechanisms. If they could have made it work I think they would have. If I was Olympus I would very politely say sorry to you.

alex g

Mu-43 All-Pro
I must admit that the issue of ProCapture not being compatible with Olympus 4/3 lenses is a little mystifying to me, because the camera is perfectly willing to shoot with them at 60 fps in Sequential High + Electronic Shutter mode, regardless of the aperture setting. Naively, in view of that, I can't think of an obvious technical limitation that would prevent the operation of ProCapture, since focus and exposure is locked at half-pressed-shutter-button time, not fully-pressed-shutter-button time. The lens is just sitting there passively for the duration of the burst, suggesting that the responsiveness of the iris mechanism ought not to be a limiting factor. That's purely a user observation, though — there may be other factors of which I'm not aware.

That said, even if the decision to limit ProCapture to newer Olympus lenses isn't based on technical constraints, and is to a large extent a marketing incentive to sell more lenses, I don't really feel it's reasonable to point an accusing finger at them and fling words like "scam" and "conspiracy" about. Even the most recent SHG lens design is a decade old now, and in a technological age, ten-years of backwards compatibility in a product line is a rare and beautiful thing. The trouble is, those lenses are just so well built that Olympus are faced with a challenge of selling their new products to folk who already have the old ones. Personally, I think they've struck a fair balance between economic necessity and customer loyalty.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom