E-M1 Viewfinder eye sensor

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JudyM, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I just got my E-M1 today and I'm not sure if there's a problem with it or I'm just doing something wrong. The manual states: "When shooting with the viewfinder, the super control panel will be displayed on the monitor. ...The viewfinder turns on and the monitor turns off automatically when you put your eye to the viewfinder."

With the super control panel displayed on my LCD, my viewfinder remains blacked out when I put the camera up to my eye. If I press the LV button, the subject comes up on the LCD and the viewfinder still remains blacked out when I lift the camera to my eye. The only way I've been able to get the viewfinder to work, is to turn off the eye sensor in the menus and manually switch the viewfinder on using the LV button.

For those of you with the manual, there's a note on page 13 under "Cautions" that states "If the angle of the monitor has been changed, the viewfinder will not light up automatically." I gave that a try, too. While the super control panel is displayed, if I tilt the rear screen out ever so slightly away from the body (about 1/32"), and the viewfinder comes on when I raise the camera to my eye. It will automatically switch every time until the LCD returns to fully closed, then the viewfinder goes black again.

Any thoughts? Am I doing something wrong, or does it sound like the camera has a problem? I hate to have to send it back. I don't really care about the automatic switching, because I never use the LCD anyway. My only concern is that there might be something more wrong.

2. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    This doesn't sound good. When I have the SCP on my rear LCD, when I put the camera up to my eye, the EVF automatically turns on. If your eye sensor is set to automatically switch in the menus, it sounds like a possible hardware problem. I'd try a complete reset (I have not done this but I assume there must be some way) first to see if that helps.

3. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The reset didn't help, unfortunately. I spoke to tech support at B&H, and he agreed that the camera isn't behaving according to the manual. It's going back tomorrow - good news is that I'll have it replaced with one that works, bad news is that I have to go back to the end of the waiting line :frown: