1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 Video specs

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dornblaser, Sep 3, 2013.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Read them and weep.

(FT5) E-M1 video specs | 43 Rumors

2. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    sounds more or less the same as the EM5

3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I gather these are bad? :confused: Not being a smartass here, I just know nothing about video and I'm curious about this camera for stills.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Many, including me, were hoping that the video specs would be as good as the GH3. If they were, that would have made the E-M1 a truly special camera.

5. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I was hoping for 24p and 60p. Oh well, I guess that will make my next purchase decision easier.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    I posted this on 43rumors:

I for one do wish Olympus had better video for the few times I wish I could record a snip it of a party or event. At several weddings, I wish I could record better like the 1st dance or a speach or a moment where a pro videographer isn’t at a certain point of the event and the couple may have like to have a candid moment.

Now due to having a child on the way, once again I wish I had better video and was looking to upgrade my EP2 to an EP5 but was waiting for the EM-1 to see what it had to offer

... now left wanting more video from an Olympus body. I don’t want to carry to 2 bodies but want 5-axis IBIS.. tisk tisk tisk Olympus for leaving me hanging.

Hopefully, the EP-5 video is good enough as the video on the EP2 is horrible until Olympus does an EP-6 or EM2 or EM5r that has 24p. Sucks to spend over another $1,000 on a camera again and still feeling like i’m getting cheated. So I will have spent over $2,000 in 3years and still have sub optimal video performance from what are considered semi-pro cameras in 2013…

SURE its nice to make a significant upgrade in sensor tech and 2-3 stop iso improvement but seriously.. ancient video specs.. blah. After 4 years, you would think a company of their sizeable resources they could make a decen 24p codec! I just dont understand why ..

I know they were focused on gettting 43s lens to work and the dual focus system but it just a matter or hiring a better video engineer or getting someone like Blackmajic to lend a hand and pay them as consultants. Most of Olympus supporters would be happy with a GOOD 24p codec, doesnt need to be advanced as what Pana have. Just significantly better then todays version.

Does anyone else agree that Olympus is missing the boat in a very significant way by not giving people better video specs. I would say that is far more of a gap and issue then a rf body with evf built in...

HOW CAN WE GO ABOUT CONVINCING OLYMPUS TO ISSUE A EP-5r (revised video capabilities)...

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    What is so special about 24p? I can't tell the difference between 30p or 24p.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    That's a good question for us stills-only dinosaurs...

9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    24p is film-cinema like.. it basically smooths out motion between frames vs. higher frame rates which leads to flicker like artifacts. You would set your shutter to 1\50s and adjust exposure with the use of an ND filter for optimal video performance. Many pro video people and others consider the rule of thumb for watching videos on TVs.

As for other codec rates, PAL format should be shot in 25p or multiples of 25 so sticking to the 30 is a compromise for them as well as pulling it down to 25 degrades the video.

So were missing out on the standard video settings and PAL people are also not being looked after without having 25p, 50p etc.

The current 30p is simply not idea let alone the .MOV. AVCHD produces a better video output.

If they cant 24p right, at least 60p which is better then 30p for viewing on TV (strange but 60 is better then 30 but 24 is smoother and more perferred). This continued lack of development on the 30p front is just an insult to someone putting down $1500-$2,000 for a new PRO M43s Camera.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These are not bad specs but they are aimed at the general user and not the pro! Olympus m4/3 bodies are not and never will be great video cameras for anything beyond general or personal use. This is not necessarily a bad thing!

Many people are looking for a photography only camera!

Take a look at a poll done recently on this forum - https://www.mu-43.com/f35/poll-do-you-use-video-function-your-camera-51041/
    37% said video was irrelevant and another 20% said they would consider a camera without video. 27% said the camera had to have good video for them to buy it. But what exactly did they mean by "good"? Full professional output or just high quality? I am sure the quality is "good" even if it isn't "pro". Only 14% insist on high quality video and I am sure many if not all mean more than the new E-M1 will deliver.

I do video as well as photography{both for fun and as part of my job} but I prefer using two different cameras. For one thing even the best DSLR or mirrorless camera is not going to do as good a job for video as a dedicated video camcorder. They rarely handle audio very well and the ergonomics are all wrong. If you want to zoom you have to do it with the ring which is tricky to do well, video camcorders on the other hand have power zoom with speed control{or at least the better ones do}. Also camcorders have much larger and longer lasting batteries that are easy to switch.

11. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Ugh Olympus, why?!

Truth is, I don't do video that often, but when I do, I try to do it well. I think it's absolutely ludicrous a modern camera of this category can't do 24p and 60p. It almost makes me wonder whether Olympus has some sort of secret agreement with Panasonic not to infringe in their video market. I can't logically explain it otherwise. 5-Axis is bar non the best best integrated stabilization you'll find for video. If the GH3 has 5-axis...

Simply put, there's nothing truly special about it. 24p is just the standard, it's what people are comfortable with. It's what we've been using for many many decades. Physical film costs money. 24 frames per second seemed to be the minimum amount of frames they could use while still making movement smooth(some disagree with this number, though). In any case, it's what the standard was set as. Almost every commercial movie is played back at 24fps. TV shows and video games tend to be 30 or 60p. It's a big part to what contributes to some things having the "movie" look vs say, the "soap opera" look. I can assure you that if you saw something at the movie theaters played at 30p, you'd notice something odd about it. That's not to say one is better or worse, but it's just the way things have gone for decades. Just look up the whole controversy with the Hobbit being shown at 48fps to get an idea. People complained it "looked like a videogame", although I think it's a step in the right direction.

Some argue, however, that the relatively few frames of 24p means that your brain needs to do less work processing the input to join images together. It takes over 500p by some estimates to create truly smooth to the eye video, so whenever you're watching video, your brain is actually "stitching" together the different individual frames. Unless there are enough frames to make movement indistinguishable from real physical movement, your brain needs to work at putting the images together. This is why shutter speed choice is also crucial for video, as having some amount of motion blur is generally actually a good thing, as it smoothes out the creases between frames and makes it easier for your brain to get an idea of smooth motion.

I don't care too much about 24p because I use an app called twixtor that can emulate the look properly(it's not really enough to just remove 6 frames from 30p and make it 24p), but it's still silly not to have it included at this point.

I understand what you're saying, but if the E-M1 had GH3 video specs, it would be hugely popular. Large-sensored video camcorders are way out of the price range of most people. I think the issue most of us have is that we can't understand why olympus hasn't done it, in the same vein of why the E-M5 doesn't have a small autofocus point. It's a simple thing Olympus should be able to fix. They can't use the excuse of it being the same old sensor, as the GH3 uses a variant of the same sensor, and Olympus definitely had to do some modifications to it to allow for PDAF. It'll be good quality video, but it seems strange.

After all, the same argument about photography vs video gear can be made about the 5DMKII. Yet for all its flaws and terrible video ergonomics, that camera is probably one of the top 5 most important video products of all time, even if it was never intended to be. It was the great equalizer.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Or maybe Sony, who owns part of Olympus and now has access to the 5 axis IBIS tech.

13. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    someone made a good point on 43rumors,
    in PAL areas we need the 50p or 25p because electricity is at 50hz therefore
    lightbulbs flicker at that frequency and if you video in a lit environment you need to match the frequency or else you get a nasty flickr
    as seen in this video
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wht8QUBSGg0]Flicker - YouTube[/ame]

It is disappointing that Olympus is neglecting a large part of the world that has 50hz mains electricity with this omission.