1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 video questions (focus)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Matt Drown, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
    I'm starting out shooting some video with the e-m1, to put together some simple travel videos. My google-searching has failed to turn up popular settings, so I'm looking to see what people are using for settings for video settings.

I shoot a lot of stills, and thumb-focus (ael/afl button) is how I've done it for years, so in a/s modes, I have that button set to focus.

To shoot movies, I've been normally switching to S, setting to 50th (24 or 25 fps), and hitting the red-movie-record button. This leaves the focus button as the thumb. If I turn the dial to the movie-mode, then I can't seem to remap focus to the back button, and it's a 1/2 shutter press.

Do I want to leave it in C-AF to be able to pan around? Or S-AF? It seems to adjust focus slowly if I pan from something close to far right now. And pushing the button adjust the focus quickly, but tends to hunt also, which is quite ugly if trying to shoot video.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. FYI, using the 14-40 2.8 pro lens on the E-M1, nut also have the 17 1.8.

2. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Matt, I, too, have started experimenting with shooting video with my E-M1. Quite capable camera for the task, I must say. I'm struggling, as well, with mastering how best to deal with focus. My videos are intended to be instructional and demonstrations of using things, so thus far most have been clips of me talking or showing something. That is, I am sitting in a chair, not moving around.

I think the most common thing is to have the camera in C-AF when recording video so that whatever is the main item or person in the frame will stay in focus as it/he/she moves within the frame. What has been happening for me is that I move side to side or back and forth a bit and the camera changes focus to something behind me since it is locked on a tripod in front of me and can't "follow" me. That's my lay assessment of what is happening.

In my last video, I set the E-M1 to Manual focus, focused on where I would be sitting, and tried to use an aperture of f/5.6 so I would get a reasonably good depth of field to allow for my little bit of body movement. Seems to have worked.

You can check out my videos at Bill Booz.

3. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
    Switching to manual focus is something I can do. I'll have to see what settings I need to ensure it doesn't do autofocus, if I use s-af to prep the shot.

What other settings are you using?

4. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    What lens are you using, Matt? I am using my 12-40mm so it has the manual focus "clutch" on the lens barrel that you pull back to put lens in manual focus mode without having to select manual focus from menu. With other lenses that don't have the "clutch," you simply select manual focus. Guess one could put the camera in S-AF so it wouldn't search for focus. I think the default and, usually, preferred setting is C-AF, so the camera DOES continually keep the subject in focus.

Since I am recording myself, I am using wi-fi to control my E-M1 from my iPhone using the OI.Share app. For times when i think I need to make sure I have an aperture at or above f/5.6, I set my video mode to use Manual as reference mode. In this way, I can set SS to 1/50 (I'm shooting at 24fps), aperture to the value I want, and ISO at value I want. Otherwise, I have been setting Shutter-Priority as the reference mode for video so I can make sure the shutter speed stays at 1/50. When I do that, I have set ISO to Auto, so the camera can choose aperture and ISO values.

You set the shooting reference mode for video in gear/i-movie/Mode menu.

5. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
    Yea, clutch on the 12-40 would work, but something else to fiddle with. Trying to get all the settings associated with a single mode-dial. Though a brief scan of the manual (RTFM, I know) seems to imply that movie-mode-filters are applied when using the move-mode-dial.

What are you using for editing? I've played around with "shotcut", but it's not as intuitive as I was hoping.

6. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I'm a Mac user and really liked Final Cut Express, but it no longer works with latest OS version, El Capitan. Wanted more than iMovie and too cheap (now) to buy Final Cut X ($300 or so) or Adobe Premiere at $19/month, so I bought Adobe Premiere Elements for $59 (Mac and Windows). I'm liking it but, if I really get into this video production more, I may spring for Apple's Final Cut X.

Not familiar with "Shotcut."

7. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
    Windows over here, so it's either step up to Premier, or find something else. For reference - WebHome < Shotcut

8. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    When in actually movie mode, the rear focus mappings don't seem to be activated. However, the AEL/AFL button on the lever does become an autofocus button. You can use that. Personally, autofocusing during video always seems a little weird. I would go manual focus if possible. I have always had more frustration with C-AF in video. Ide rather miss focus slightly manually focusing than have the video continuously keep trying to focus.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I would also suggest MF. If you use C-AF it works best when doing a walking pan, etc., or when you are tightly focused on your subject, your subject is basically stationary, and nothing is going to enter your scene to cause the camera to hunt with AF.

10. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
    I've switched to MF mode for some of the video shots I'm playing with now, after watching the C-AF hunt suddenly while on things.

But I haven't had a chance to review anything yet to see how good/bad it's coming out. :)

11. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Matt: Shotcut - I took a look and discovered there is a version for Mac (as well as Linux and, of course, Windows as you're using). Pretty cool program for free! Watched some of the tutorials but, as you note, not terribly intuitive even with tutorial help. I will continue trying it, but the experience made appreciate my $59 investment in Adobe Premiere Elements!

I agree that shooting video in Manual Focus mode, especially when subject (me) is not moving much, makes most sense.