1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 Video + Audio questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Matt Drown, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
    I'm playing around with using my EM1 for video. I know it isn't ideal for this, but I bought it for stills, and am happy with it for stills, but want to do play with some video.

Trying to figure a view things out:
    Audio. Onboard microphone works, but not ideal for simple interview style sound. Picked up a used Zoom H1, but without a shock mount can hear every motion in the camera (and it's much wider pickup area vs shotgun). Picked up a Rode VideoMicro unit, non-powered, shockmount, windguard, and plugs directly into my EM1. Unfortunately it seems to have a large hiss noise (I assume from the pre-amp). It requires 3.5mm port power, and I can't figure out if the EM1 actually provides power out of it's MIC port (the manual stinks for this information). I can run the input levels at -10 or 0 or 10, and hear the hiss change, but also need higher levels at -10, and blow out at 10. 0 seems good for levels right now. So does anyone know (bonus points for manual reference) if the mic port on the EM1 provides power? I'm trying to avoid stepping up to the $230 videomic pro right now. Do I need a pre-amp of some sort? Is there some way to power up the port on the EM1? Am I just going to have to deal with the hiss in post?

Video Mode vs Pushing the red button in S-Mode. I think I've figured out the controls on the camera when I put the top dial in movie mode. Everything goes to stock, and if you don't change button configs (which are set by adjusting them WHEN you are in that mode), then auto-focus is any undefined button. This is slightly annoying to me, as I normally set up ael/afl at AFL, with AEL on 1/2 press shutter (normal back-button focus config). The manual seems lacking in definition of these settings also. Anything strange here? Is there any reason to use movie mode on the dial vs A/S/M/P?

That's it for right now, thanks in advance!

2. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Video mode has some of its own dedicated settings you can set, e.g. shutter priority speed, focus mode. The preview is also 16:9 and you can check audio levels before recording.

Good to know about the underwhelming preamp though, I too have been tempted to get a VideoMicro for better sound but it sounds like it's not a dramatic improvement on hiss...

4. Matt Drown

Matt Drown Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 9, 2015
    I'm going to run some tests with the VideoMicro with and without the Zoom H1 inline as a pre-amp and see how it works. I can run the zoom directly, but it's not a shotgun style microphone, so I pick up more sounds. I'll see what I get.

This was another option - PYLE-PRO PLMC15 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005UJQ2TY - which i found referenced in a video by someone using a Canon C100 unit that also provides no power on the microphone port. You remove the included mic, and just plug in what you want.