1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 V4 Silent Shutter, Street Photog, Slow Shutter Limit gone!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Flugal Hound, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Flugal Hound

Flugal Hound New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2015
    Hi, im new here though had 4/3 over the years & m4/3 E-M1 for the past year. Being interested in street photography Ive been niggled by not being able to get the Slow Shutter Limit thing to work for me, ive tried on and off for the past 12 month. Its when in P Ps A modes you wish the shutter speed not to get below say 125th or at least be last on the list to change after ISO. Duurrhhh the penny dropped today I have to set ISO to Auto, what a dumb ass. Woo Hoo Fab Great, new camera feeling and all that.

Now that firmware V4 has given me Silent Shutter I now have the ultimate street tool!
    Ahh but hold on, Silent Shutter duth not appear to be compatible with Slow Shutter Limit?

or is it me again

Help

Fluges

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Correct - I think somebody else mentioned it as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Flugal Hound

Flugal Hound New to Mu-43

Nov 30, 2015
    I think it to do with the Slow Limit being a Flash Function and the menu states 'Does not work with Flash' when Silent Shutter is enabled.

4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    so what sort of minimum shutter speed does the camera choose when using the silent shutter?

5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It doesn't really... minimum e-shutter speed is 1/8 seconds I think.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I guess the usual 1 / focal length * 2

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    This is the kind of limitation that drives me crazy about Olympus cameras. The whole focal length times 2 rule completely redundant when the in body stabilization is so effective. I am glad Olympus keeps pushing out innovative features, but I really hope they give us some decent control over Auto ISO and slow shutter limits asap.

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Why can't you just shoot in S priority?

also There are already limits you can set for AUTO ISO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The nice thing about using A priority with the Min Flash Sync speed is that the shutter speed won't go BELOW the min, but can go above.
    (but this doesn't work in Silent Shutter mode)

With S priority, you cannot set a minimum shutter speed (although I hear you can on some Nikon models).
    When shooting street, light can change dramatically as you enter shadows, storefronts, etc... having a minimum shutter speed is strongly preferred to a fixed one.

Barry

10. TonyVentourisPhotography

TonyVentourisPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2015
    With electronic shutter the slowest speed is 1/8th. You do gain 1/16,000 though. Flash sync is reduced to 1/30th or 1/20th I think. Electronic is the reason it's silent. The closest thing to a real silent shutter that is mechanical is a leaf shutter or a cloth shutter. Old Leica's (film) had cloth shutters, and Fuji X100 has a leaf shutter. Those are the most common street shooters that are really quiet. Then again, I don't find the m43 cameras too loud to begin with.

11. ThorEgil

ThorEgil Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    How do you get the Minimum Flash Shutter Speed to take effect without actually using a flash?

Edit: I believe I found it. It seems like it will stick to the slow shutter limit until you hit the high ISO limit (mine is set to 3200) . From there it will go to slower shutter speeds.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Aperture priority, Auto ISO... camera will start raising ISO If there's not enough light to keep shutter speed at or above minimum.
    Must not have Silent Shutter enabled.

It works regardless of whether a flash is installed.

Barry

13. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Yep, this bothers me quite a bit as well. One thing I'm considering so I at least use silent sometimes is do a preset into M and S that put keep it silent mode. In A I'll use mechanical shutter so I get my minimum shutter speed back. Except for various lighting situations I would have left the camera is silent shutter almost all the time so this is a compromise so I can at least use it some of the time. I'm in A mode most of the time though. Mostly because I don't need S mode as long as I have my minimum set for the situation. I do minimum 1/100th to 1/160th when I'm shooting with kids around (any lens). And 1/80th otherwise. Mostly so I can be more risky and creative with shooting angles and not having to hold the camera so steady (thanks to ibis) catching candid moments. I'm like a gunslinger in a shootout with the camera when moments pop up. IBIS + the higher shutter speeds + the near eye detect make that possible =). Also I'll hit S mode and go down to 1/15th or slower if I'm doing still objects in low light. Another IBIS thing for me. Sorry off topic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Why would you want to set a minimum shutter speed cutoff when your in Shutter Priority mode...?

15. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I thought I'd seen a body with more than one Tv option on the dial, but maybe I'm misremembering... either way, there is a way to set a minimum shutter speed on some Nikons, at least in Aperture Priority mode.

Barry

16. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

It just seems like double redundant redundancy, considering your in SP for the express reason of selecting your shutter speed...

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    Yes silent shutter is also broken for me on the EM10 mk2:

EM10 mk2 silent shutter is defective

Not only does it ignore the flash lower shutter limit, it also ignores the focal length/2 rule. In aperture priority mode the camera just tries to set the shutter speed to 1/20 even in normal daylight, which has resulted in lots of blurry pics (not due to handshake but due to subject movement).

I was so annoyed about this that I e-mailed Robin Wong about it, and he's passed my comments onto his Olympus contacts. Let's hope for a fix soon (we REALLY need a proper "minimum shutter speed" setting)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It worries me that users are telling the world that their camera is broken when in fact, that is how Silent Shutter can be implemented. It does have limitations!.
    You could read some more comments about it here with a quote from that thread which maybe helpful here.
    In other words to all that have negative things to say about Silent Shutter & other firmware updates, "Please stop the whinging, whining & belly aching!" :mad: Sorry, I had to get that off my chest, :oops: but I feel that Olympus might think twice about giving us great features & updates if all we are going to do is complain about them (without at least understanding them). :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi Ross,

Electronic Shutter / rolling shutter artifacts are one thing, this is another.

The OM-D cameras have a way to set minimum shutter speed (when in A or P modes), but it is not applied to the electronic shutter, for no apparent reason.

Barry

20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

But did you read the comments in the other thread (from another forum)? I feel the criticisms being made by users are maybe not necessarily made with sufficient knowledge of the limitations in implementing these features as other brand cameras also have limitations when using a silent shutter as well (also found in that thread). I can understand the frustration in that it doesn't operate exactly as the mechanical shutter does, but I am also willing to learn how to use it with its limitations (as specified in the updated specified features).

• Like Like x 1