E-M1 v2 firmware - a bit of a yawn?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, Sep 21, 2014.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, it was billed as a "huge firmware update", but TBH, after upgrading my E-M1, I think it's actually a bit of a yawn (except for the half hour I had to spend re-configuring my camera - jeez, it even erased the Copyright info! :mad:). The only thing worth having, for me, is Live Composite. I never use focus peaking (but it seems even after this upgrade it lags other manufacturers' implementations), keystone correction is of marginal help (I'm a raw shooter) and since I don't do studio work, the tethering isn't important for me (and in any case, why didn't Oly use WiFi and not a USB cable?). I was really hoping for some EVF improvements (e.g. like the XT1's auto flip of shooting params when the camera is turned to portrait), or full electronic shutter, or CAF improvements or auto ISO improvements (setting min/max shutter speed), or ...

OK, so I'm sounding ungrateful for a free upgrade - which only goes to show you just can't please some people :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I agree, for a major firmware update, a bit underwhelming. Better than nothing though and still happy to see the update.

3. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    It really just seems to be an update to keep the feature set consistent between models. This has generally been the case. There was rumor of slow motion video, which I thought would be in there for sure because it seemed rather feasible. The 4K video seemed unlikely. Also I find the faster frame rate on the focus peaking to be much better BUT the focus peaking itself seems to not work very well unlesss the lighting conditions are just right.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The release contains no features I want, no performance improvement for things that are relevant to me and takes time to reconfigure the camera when done. I didn't update to the new release.

5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I will eventually update...probably...but there isn't anything I want or need in v2.

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I could say, you are all a bunch of whingers. :tongue:

7. polarpix

polarpix Mu-43 Regular

Whiners we may be - but the fact remains that the V2 upgrade is totally underwhelming for some people myself included. I'll skip this one. :boohoo:

8. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, as a Pom Ross, it's in my genes!

• Like Like x 1
  9. pclewis

pclewis Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    TX/ME
    I was having AF issues with the 50-200 SWD using 1.4. This upgrade fixed that. Not sure why, but it did.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Who's whinging? It's just a waste of time to have to input the settings all over again for an upgrade that is a y-a-w-n. :wink:

11. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    You know, I thought all you British-"English" types were just misspelling whining (whinging) - like you do colour and flavour, for instance.
    But then watching a Brit sitcom, found out you actually do say "win-jing" - how quaint! :tongue:

12. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Not British, but still was sort of pissed off after upgrading to v2. I went out to a wedding (not as official photog or anything like that - a friends wedding). Fired the first few shots off only to discover that the zero sec anti shock had been turned off by default again and my buttons had been changed around.
    To be honest it's my own fault for not doing my homework before the upgrade.

Apart from that the keystone feature is a VERY nice addition - but then again I tend to use DXO for that type of thing.

Other than that, a few nice tweaks but nothing revolutionary. I did a quick AF+Continuous test and didn't really notice a massive improvement, then again I suspect that the Pan100-300 was the limiting factor on that test :)

The one improvement that they made that I am delighted with - AF+peaking finally is smooth in the viewfinder without dropping framerates. This is a huge difference.
    The only things that I would like to see Olympus add now to their peaking implementation is adjustable width to the peaking outline and more colour options besides black and white.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ross the fiddler

There were after all, 8 new features & 16 fixes or improvements! Surely there were enough reasons of benefit to record all the settings & write them down on a spreadsheet (http://www.biofos.com/mft/omd_em1_settings.html) http://www.biofos.com/mft/em1settings_ver2.xls or a copy from the manual printed out to scribble on. I also like the Partial Colour feature that can be fun too (also with saved raw file), apart from the nice Live Composite. The Keystone can be useful for framing a scene for later (raw) editing in something else, but I'm also waiting to see what they bring to the OV3 update too, as I still use it a lot besides CO7.

14. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Misspelling!!! - how very dare you. I need not remind you that the language is called ENGLISH for a very good reason!:wink:

15. Ross the fiddler

You tell 'em Paul! :biggrin: They don't speak (or write) English. They only think they do. :wink:

16. Ross the fiddler

That's OK. I don't know why people in your region cut short statements like, "my bad." My bad what? :rolleyes:

17. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    hmmm does it solve the long exposure's issues (hot pixel)?

If not, i think i will stay with my EM5:wink:

18. Ross the fiddler

The Live Composite does as it takes a 'dark frame' at the start & the rest is just for exposing for as long as is desired for the image make up.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Here here! Though, I'm actually prepared to forgive the misguided spelling. What I can't stand, is the total misuse of the language.

"I could care less" is the one that really gets me in a huff.

You could care less? How much less? A little? A lot? I may start a kickstarter campaign to help fund an education facility for the poor souls affected...

Z...

20. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Hear Hear! not Here Here!

The language must have degraded on its way South as well!

I agree about the care less. In British English it is "I could not care less." which makes logical sense. The "not" got lost making it illogical.