1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 Users, what EVF settings do you like?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bcaslis, Oct 7, 2013.

1. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I have to admit I have a prejudice for 3:2 versus 4:3. But on the E-M1 the EVF styles 1 & 2 have extra features over the E-M5. For example once you get focus there is a horizontal level that shows up also. Very handy.

Style 3 is the one to use the full EVF. Styles 1 & 2 don't work well for 4:3 since you use a lot to blank areas.

I'd be curious to know what others are using. Right now, 3:2 format and style 2 gives me the best EVF view.

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes met too. Style 2, 3:2 view. Moved from style 3 on the E-M5.

As you say additional functionality with the level guage. Shooting 3:2 has an additional benefit with the E-M1. In Lightroom, the entire 4:3 image comes back when you crop.

3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Bumping this thread now that a few others have the E-M1. What EVF style do you use? Style 1 & 2 work best with 3:2. Style 3 works best for 4:3. But I really hate style 3, 1 & 2 are way more useful on the E-M1. In addition to more info, if you are in style 1 or 2, when you flip the 1/2 lever, the appropriate fields highlight in yellow in the EVF. Doesn't happen in style 3.

4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    3:2 mode with style 2 and all info turned off for me :)

5. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    I use style 2 with 4:3 format. I don't mind the loss of using the entire EVF. I would rather loose a few pixels on the EVF rather than crop in 2:3 format. I like the 4:3 ratio better for now.

6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    for me shooting in raw I can always get that small area that 3:2 crops out back if I want :) kinda fits more with my FF gear when viewing them together :)

also I do switch up quite a bit with ratios for weddings or personal use :) I like 4:3 also :) and use it for personal stuff

7. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Right now I have been giving this a test run. Still not decided. I really like the full view of style 3 (with a grid) for setting compositions. I am weighing that against the additional functionality bestowed on Styles 1 and 2 by Olympus.

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I never like all the shooting info sprinkled around the edges of the frame. With the E-M5, style 1/2 made the image too small. When I test drove the E-M1 yesterday, I set the VF to style 2 and the image was about the same size as style 3 with the 5.

I make 4:3 prints and try to use the whole frame, so I'm not going to set the image view to 3:2.

9. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    #3 with no info. I stick with the 4/3rd format and have the cross grid(the one like a large + with fine lines in it on all the time. That's all I need to level myself.