E-M1 Users, what EVF settings do you like?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bcaslis, Oct 7, 2013.

1. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I have to admit I have a prejudice for 3:2 versus 4:3. But on the E-M1 the EVF styles 1 & 2 have extra features over the E-M5. For example once you get focus there is a horizontal level that shows up also. Very handy.

Style 3 is the one to use the full EVF. Styles 1 & 2 don't work well for 4:3 since you use a lot to blank areas.

I'd be curious to know what others are using. Right now, 3:2 format and style 2 gives me the best EVF view.

2. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Yes met too. Style 2, 3:2 view. Moved from style 3 on the E-M5.

As you say additional functionality with the level guage. Shooting 3:2 has an additional benefit with the E-M1. In Lightroom, the entire 4:3 image comes back when you crop.

3. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Bumping this thread now that a few others have the E-M1. What EVF style do you use? Style 1 & 2 work best with 3:2. Style 3 works best for 4:3. But I really hate style 3, 1 & 2 are way more useful on the E-M1. In addition to more info, if you are in style 1 or 2, when you flip the 1/2 lever, the appropriate fields highlight in yellow in the EVF. Doesn't happen in style 3.

4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    3:2 mode with style 2 and all info turned off for me :) 

5. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    I use style 2 with 4:3 format. I don't mind the loss of using the entire EVF. I would rather loose a few pixels on the EVF rather than crop in 2:3 format. I like the 4:3 ratio better for now.

6. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    for me shooting in raw I can always get that small area that 3:2 crops out back if I want :)  kinda fits more with my FF gear when viewing them together :) 

also I do switch up quite a bit with ratios for weddings or personal use :)  I like 4:3 also :)  and use it for personal stuff

7. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Right now I have been giving this a test run. Still not decided. I really like the full view of style 3 (with a grid) for setting compositions. I am weighing that against the additional functionality bestowed on Styles 1 and 2 by Olympus.

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I never like all the shooting info sprinkled around the edges of the frame. With the E-M5, style 1/2 made the image too small. When I test drove the E-M1 yesterday, I set the VF to style 2 and the image was about the same size as style 3 with the 5.

I make 4:3 prints and try to use the whole frame, so I'm not going to set the image view to 3:2.

9. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    #3 with no info. I stick with the 4/3rd format and have the cross grid(the one like a large + with fine lines in it on all the time. That's all I need to level myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.