1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 Update after mk. II release?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zensu, Apr 17, 2016.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Do you guys think that whenever the new E-M1 mk. II appears that Olympus might also update the Firmware in the original E-M1 to more closely resemble a few of the features in the new mk. II version?
    Example: Olympus adds handheld High Res Sensor Shift to the mk. II and updates the mk. I to have High Res Sensor Shift (not handheld ala E-M5 mk. II)?
    Bobby
    PS, I feel the orig. E-M1 would be a perfect camera for me if it just had the High Res Sensor Shift.

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    No. I very much doubt it would be possible anyway, as I think it requires different hardware. Start saving...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Olympus has stated that the IBIS is different and what allows the high resolution photos. The EM1 is limited by its hardware and cannot have it added as a firmware update. Just like they can't add the in camera focus stacking to the other models because they don't have a big enough buffer.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    Olympus has not updated the E-M10 and the E-M5 since the E-M10 II and the E-M5 II arrived, but to give them compatibility with the 300 Pro. There is the answer.

5. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I can see why this would benefit you as a user of a mk1, but what's in it for Olympus? Surely if they were going to do that they'd have done it already to boost the sales of an existing camera, rather than add it to an old camera they no longer sell, making you less likely to buy a new model, which is actually how they make money.

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Very good points.

I was hoping a few updates to match just a few of the E-M1 mk. IIs' new features would be great for Public Relations (like Fuji does).

7. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    It may well be, but as I keep telling all those clients who continue to offer me so many wonderful opportunities to do 'their' stuff for free on the basis I'll get great exposure and they'll recommend me to all their friends, you can't buy food or pay the bills with the reputation from work done for free, at some point someone needs to pay.

As Olympus tries really hard to turn their business around in to profitability they are going to have to be a little more hard nosed about this stuff than many of us would like to dream. I really don't think you're going to get hi-res mode on the mk1, otherwise it would be here already, helping them to move inventory they already built.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    It's all really a moot point as Olympus has already said it can't due to hardware constraints. I'm pretty sure they blew their load the last go around. The only current feature the EM1 lacks is the high resolution photo and it has one (focus stacking) that none of the other cameras have.

9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I was hoping "focus stacking" might mean the sensor could also do shifting for high res captures but they are two distinct operations.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    IMO, Olympus has actually done a pretty decent job of adding features to the E-M1 - EFCS, silent shutter, improving C-AF framerate, faster EVF refresh, tethering... That's not to say I'd object to the ability to save settings to the SD card (hint-hint), but on the whole, they've done a nice job of keeping the camera current. They certainly could have not done those updates and forced people to choose between the E-M1 and E-M5 mk2 (and probably made more money), but happily they did not.

11. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Olympus has done more for the E-M1 to add features than any other camera manufacturer has for a single model that I can think of. The only other camera that comes close is the recent update to the Fuji X-E2 to bring it up to basically a X-E2s for free. Sony surely doesn't, Canon/Nikon don't, even Panasonic doesn't. Olympus has done an admirable job keeping the E-M1 current with software updates that now hardware limitations are what's holding it back.

Going forward I could see small updates like lens compatible updates but I can't envision a FW5.0 but I hope I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    That's not quite true. The GH4 has had some new features recently. 4K Photo & post shot focusing are just two off the top of my head.

It's also had a paid upgrade option of the log recording, but unless you're in to video that won't make any difference ;)