1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 Tips and Settings Suggestions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PixelJohn, Oct 4, 2013.

1. PixelJohn

PixelJohn New to Mu-43

Oct 4, 2013
    I am new to the E-M1 and would enjoy hearing any settings tips and ideas from others. There is a lot to learn about this camera. Thanks.

2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    EVERYONE is new to the E-M1!

Most people who want one can't get one.

We should be asking YOU since you actually have one!

It's the cost of being an early adopter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    being a em5 user for a while i wont go into the general settings... but as a lucky owner of an E-M1 and user of legacy lenses one of the first things I did was to assign the lower front button to bring up focus peaking.

to try it out i picked up my partners 50/1.0 Noctilux... a notoriously difficult lens to focus on a Leica rangefinder. and put it on the em-1

still on the learning curve on focus peaking... its not a panacea for perfect focus... but its not bad

10058142295_2bc9000d8d_b.
    PA020036 by kevinparis, on Flickr

10058135325_ef9e6a357d_b.
    PA020009 by kevinparis, on Flickr

more here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/sets/72157636126623193/

K

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well this thread seems like a good idea to me - we might eventually work the camera out. Any settings advice with an Olympus M43 camera should start with 'switch on the SCP' which is 'off' by default (under cog-d).

Now to the E-M1
    1) Under 'cog-c' there is a setting 'sequential shooting + IS off' which is set to 'on' by default. That means (I assume) that if you take say HDR photos the IBIS is switched off. I assume this is better switched to 'off'.

2) Am I being thick or is there no dedicated 'wifi' button this camera or the ability to make a function button a dedicated wifi button? As far as I can tell if you want to turn wifi on and off you have to go deep in the menus.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    On my EM-1 there is a wifi icon that stays on the LCD. You just need to touch it to start wifi. Only problems is, it doesn't work on my iPhone5.

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well i was planning to turn my touch screen off but there you go.

Wifi connection is ok and you can download photos with IOS. The app itself is out of date - last updated 23 July - so it cant be used for remote control of the camera.

7. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Seriously? This is absurd you cannot use wifi remote control via apps on the M1...

That's a deal breaker for me, especially at the price of this cam. I thought this was one of the perks of the upgrade. Unreal :eek:

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It is. Unfortunately, the software update (on the phone) that enables this isn't yet available. Remember, the official release of the camera was supposed to be second half of October in most places.

9. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    ^^ good to know. Geez, I sure hope they update the app to get it working.

*fingers crossed*

10. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Pretty disappointed when i couldn't control the em1 with iphone5, but hey its the cost of having the camera early. Anywho.

I have the top front button set to enable MF and FN1 to enable focus peaking. That way with my right hand I can control the wheels, focus peaking, shutter all without moving my hand from its natural posistion on the camera. Ill have to try out peaking on the bottom button in the front, but for me FN1 is comfortable.

this is with the EM1 and OM Zuiko 50mm 1.8 Manual Focus of course
    10076744284_fba3a3e0fe_b.
    Bentley Loves Fall by Leading Line Photography, on Flickr

As with the Keep Warm Color setting on the EM5, make sure to set this to OFF as well on the EM1. Also make sure to enable the SCP through the settings.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Colorbright

Colorbright Mu-43 Regular

So is that an app issue, or an actual camera issue? in other words, once the app is updated will it be possible to use wifi for remote control of the camera? not certain anyone here knows, but thought I would ask.

12. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL

Ok, just read some posts from users on robin wongs blog, android app works fine because the android app is updated. Olympus has not updated (released) the ios version yet, it will come soon. Likely they have to go thru the millions of feet of Apple's red tape to get app released.

Once the ios version is released, should work fine, just like androids version.

13. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    The Android app is dated 17 Sept and says

I'm sure the IOS version will be along in a while.

14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok here is a subtle one. Under cog-e set 'iso step' to 1ev. This makes your iso go up in 1 stop increments - 200 400 800 etc. why? Multiples of base iso are created by analogue gain and are cleaner than isos I between. This was true of the e-m5 certainly up to 1600.

• Like Like x 3
  15. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Ok question. Cog-A - what is C-AF lock and what setting do you set it to?

More tips
    Cog-B - The arrow keys on the back of the camera are by default set to move the af point during shooting mode. I like my af point in the centre and then to recompose. Setting the arrow pointers to 'off' saves you accidentally moving the af point as you handle the camera. Other people like to program them as additional fn buttons (like we needed more!).

Cog-B -'mode dial function' - reprogram the 'mode dial' so that useless modes such as iauto can be reprogrammed to mysets 1-4.

Cog-C - 'release time lag' - question? Do you use this? By setting it on it reduces the time lag from press the shutter to taking the photo. Sounds good? But it is set to 'off' by default and really? what time lag?

16. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Wow... this one is pretty neat.

Try setting your aspect ratio to one that is 'none native' - ie isnt 4:3 - say 3:2 for instance.

Now import to Lightroom. Go to develop mode and crop. Although the crop will be set to 3:2 unless you change it - you will see the full 4:3 image. This was not the case with the E-M5. Well done Lightroom.

17. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Cog - J - Half way level - set to 'on' to display level guage when shutter is half pressed. Only works in EVF styles 1 and 2 - not in style 3.

EV adjustment can now be made +/- 5 stops compared to +/- 3 stops with the E-M5.

18. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    @ Colorbright: I got it to work on both my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini last night (after trying for a couple of days). Tell me what you're doing and I'll try to give you a hand.

19. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    The iOS app just got updated last night. You must have tried the updated app. Before last night it didn't work.

20. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    Yep. Version 2.1 now working on iPad/iPhone.