E-M1 T.O.P. Camera of the Year 2013

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Fmrvette, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  2. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Well, look at it this way, next year you can say you feel so 2013 when they come out with another one...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Great write-up. I could have written it myself except I couldn't write it as well. But I too have turned into a Sony fan of sorts (after years of semi-actively DIS-liking their gear). I too admire the Nikon Df. I too love the Nikon A and Ricoh GR (except I'm one of the few who ended up somewhat strongly preferring the Nikon). I too love the GX7 and thought it was the best m43 body I'd ever shot with - for a few weeks until the EM1 showed up for a trial run. And I too probably would have picked the EM1 as the best of the bunch overall. Actually MY camera of the year was the RX1, but that was a 2012 camera that I didn't get to use until March of 2013, so it doesn't count...

So much great gear out there, but the EM1 just nails it. I had an EM5 and on paper had absolutely no interest in upgrading / updating to the EM1. But once I had a chance to shoot with one for a while, that all changed pretty quickly. It's not much better than the EM5 in any specific way, but the sum of the parts is just kind of shockingly better overall. And, in a sense, it's not "better" than the GX7 (I ended up with one of those too - what an amazing one-two punch of a dual-m43 kit!), but its just so overwhelmingly complete and does EVERYthing it does so damn well.

Just another GREAT year for new gear (as was 2012, when both m43 and mirrorless APS seemed to cross a pretty major threshold of wonderfulness) and the EM1 would top my list as well...

-Ray

4. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's exactly how I felt after I read it - that I could have written it myself but not as well :smile:.

6. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Another home-run for Olympus. Now I'd love for the doomsayers to go through 2014 without predicitng ithe company's imminent demise. I wish I could get it, but my E-M5 is going to have to do for a while. Fortunately, I like the 5 a lot, and so don't feel too sorry for myself.

8. Firedogg

Firedogg Have cash, will spend

Yes, I know Jim. I can't believe the E-M5 has gotten so old so quick.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I've touch it, and am now saving money and gaining courage to tell my wife I need another m43 camera :)

10. Firedogg

Firedogg Have cash, will spend

I'm too scared to touch one. Last I touched a camera, I ended up buying it.

11. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    "I wish I could change the past and give CoY 2012 to the Fuji X-Pro1. That would restore the proper balance of nature, not to mention brand impartiality."

What a joke. The author mentions brand impartiality though he doesn't even have on the list any of the 2013 Fuji cameras like the E2, M1 or A1? He would even turn back in time, if possible, and give Fuji the award while the Fuji X-E2 is not even on the list and a much better camera than the old Pro1.
    Impartiality when on top of a few Sony cameras he adds another Sony, this time a point and shoot like the RX10? To me, the guy sounds like an Olympus cheerleader.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The last four cameras he bought with his own money and spoke of in a positive light on his blog were Pentax K5, Sony A900, Nikon D800, and Panasonic GF1. Definitely not an Olympus cheerleader.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  13. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Well I bought the E-M1 and I have to say that it has exceeded my expectations. As people have pointed out, it has no stand out feature but what makes it special is the some of the parts. It is really good in virtually all respects - I really cant find anything wrong with it - and it has such an excellent bunch of lens choices that go with it. So I am not terribly surprised by all the plaudits.

Still, the cameras that are catching my eye this year - last year it was the Fujis but I am so over that - are the Sony A7 and A7r. Probably they would be my camera of the year simply through their inherent innovation. Now I realize all the Sonys flaws from a lack of native lenses, IBIS, just ok focusing and funky shutter release. But focusing purely on the cameras faults, misses the salient point that these cameras - in their first iteration - do seem to have got a lot right - the price, the bodies and the sensor. I dont think they are quite ready for prime time but I do see a lot of potential in their future.

14. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I keep hoping that all these raves for the E-M1 will make many many more owners of E-M5's want to sell them at steep losses ... :tongue: as that's about the only way I'll be able to afford either camera anytime soon :frown:

At least I got myself a 17/2.8 this past year. Perhaps a 30/2.8 this next year continuing to make the E-PL1 the camera of the year the William's Camera Bag write-up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I think your terminology is wrong here. Hotrodding and innovation are two different things.

16. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    The E-M1 is certainly in my sights, but is it really much better than the EM5 for the price difference?. Dynamic Range, ISO Noise and IBIS are the only things that if improved would make me want to upgrade. Then again I would pay over the odds for something that is a little better as I feel like I am able to get the most out of the EM5 now, so if I can gain that little extra in terms of clean IQ or slightly longer exposure hand held using the IBIS (probably one of the most amazing and best features ever on these cameras and one I swear by) then I guess I would pay for it, but the EM5 is still outstanding.

17. BobbyTan

BobbyTan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 26, 2013
    Long Beach, CA
    Ditto. I was lusting for the A7r for a period, but not anymore. The good/fast lenses are just not there except for the FE 55/1.8 … and I generally do like normal lenses … or MF legacy lenses that are big and heavy. Plus there are all kinds of issues with adaptors and so forth … so I am out! Meanwhile, the E-M1 system is getting better all the time especially with the range of lenses - fast primes and great zooms from Olympus.

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

I also have been lusting for the new sony A7 but then bought a M1. Too few lenses and most are too expensive. Maybe in a future iteration.....

19. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Mine came in just now, $2079.98 shipped overnight to my door. So far I updated and registered the camera/lens. As good as the OM-D is, for me this camera is in a completely different segment. Well worth the upgrade. The speed, the IBIS, everything about it is top of the line. Glad I ordered the EM-1 instead of the A7. Pictures taken with the OM-D and 60mm 2.8

This is a win win situation.

11720824294_017c8267a3_b.
    _1020006 by savingspaces33, on Flickr