1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 strap lug fell off

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by PeHa, Aug 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Attended a sport event yesterday and was just about to start shooting when the strap and the camera separated. Luckily I handheld the camera so it didnt't hit the ground BUT the camera body now razzles and cannot be turned on. I think some part has come deep into the body and disturbs the sensor which does look oblique. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've owned it for more than 24 months so the warranty is not valid but it's now packed to be sent for repair, wonder what this will cost and how long time it'll take...

[​IMG]

• Sad Sad x 3
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's sad to see... there's been a number of reports of failing strap lugs on various OM-Ds ever since the E-M5 Mk1 Elites came out... hope Olympus have finally fixed it in their latter models.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Be sure to include a note with the camera that says "PLEASE USE LOCTITE!"

It's a pretty unacceptable for a "professional" camera IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Ah, the famous Olympian engineering and build quality. They are a mysterious company, aren't they? Able to solve extremely difficult engineering problems and create such miracles as the famous 5-axis IBIS, but unable to properly secure strap lugs or create dials that don't stop working randomly.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Galibier_Numero_Un

Galibier_Numero_Un New to Mu-43

Jul 12, 2015
    Happened to me as well - post warranty. Fortunately, I had a service plan. Indeed ... thread locker anyone?

...Thom

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Holy Moly... I was taking macro shots today, ran out of battery power so I took out the battery, shoved it in the charger and left it about 2 hours ago. I just went upstairs, looked at the strap-lug on the shutter-button side, and it was loose. Wiggled it a bit with my finger and it came right off.

Damnit. Off to repair it goes.

• Sad Sad x 5
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I've had one repaired however I can't remember if it was during the warranty period or not. It's sometimes hard to tell with Australian consumer law as while the repair was free there's more protections provided than a normal warranty might suggest - I've previously had equipment replaced outside of warranty for free.

I generally talk to them via email to check their current backlog before I do anything however in my experience it normally takes less than a day for an E-M1 repair, especially for something like this which should be simple (my lug/rubber repair took 1 day, plus two days shipping).

I've heard questionable stories about some of the American service centers (especially in regard to sensor cleaning) however the service at the Australian one has always been first rate for me. I would email your local Olympus repair center and explain what happened, I wouldn't be surprised if they do the repair for free if there's no parts cost (in house repairs used to have a large amount of goodwill leeway, if they're outsourced you're probably out of luck though).

8. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Thankfully, the Canadian service centre nearest Toronto: "Trinitek" is actually quite good, for turn-around times. They usually get the body in and out within two days. But still... marvellous camera, a technical marvel, yet, its gremlins are found in surprisingly simple mechanical places on the body.

9. macgibbs

macgibbs New to Mu-43

Oct 1, 2011
    I had the same thing happen with mine as well. Was using a hand grip in the same lug and it left me hanging, pun intended. Fortunately I had a strap on it as well. That was back in June, I have not gotten it repaired yet as I suspect it will cost some change. I bought mine 2nd hand and have no warranty coverage. I need the rear dial worked on and the rear rubber grip re glued. So I will try to get all the issues fixed at the same time. The camera works fine, just disappointed that a key hard point was not so sturdy. Loctite would help, just have to get to the bits that are rattling around inside.

Anyone had issues with the rubber grips coming off?

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I can tell that mine is threatening to - the corner is lifting a little. Similar age and history to yours.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I don't buy used cameras anymore and I don't use camera straps either. Not after all things that has happened to my equipment and what has been reported on this forum. But that is just because we want cheaper yet "better" electronic gadgets every year, so the companies deliver. I still like my Oly gear, even if it sucks sometimes. It's like marriage...but that is another story.... ;)

12. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    Actually I'm the opposite. The NEW Olympus M10 bodies I acquired all developed serious problems that caused them to be replaced by first the store and then later by Olympus. However the one Olympus M5 body and lens which I got in a trade is still going though it does not get used much any more.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    If you are in the USA, when you go to put in your payment, use a credit card vs. something like Paypal. Not sure how it is lately, but in the past if you send in a "Flagship" model out of warranty (so for example the E-3 then the E-5 and now the E-M1) if the repair was for something they kind of know is a design issue like strap lugs, they still may repair it for free and NOT charge your credit card. Where as if you pay with something like Paypal, they get the payment immediately. While they might have repaired it for free by not charging your credit card, they certainly won't refund your Paypal. At worse they will charge your credit card in the end, so no risk going that route.

I sent my E-M1 in for a problem and when I got it back the grip near where your thumb rests on the back was peeling up, probably from them having to get to screws under and then trying to reuse the same grip. I ended up gluing it down myself but it has a little lump under it now. Seems like those grips always tend to swell over time or something so when you try to stick them down into the same "detent" area, they are always a bit larger than where they came out of. Argggh!

Same here. Under 4/3rds my first was a brand new E-520 which eventually stopped working correctly. While my E-1, E-300, & E-3 all bought second hand worked great for years until I sold them (still have the E-1). Likewise, my E-M1 I bought refurbed from Oly also developed a problem that required repair. So 2nd hand, no problems. "First hand" either new or refurbed from Oly, problems.

14. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    So, yesterday I had it returned from repair. It took about 2 weeks (the repair was made in Portugal) and a cost of about $120. I could track the process quite well over the web. Obviously, some screw/part came into the IS system by the sensor and made the whole camera faulty.

Anyway, I'm happy now, didn't know how much I've become dependant on it :) Now I just have to get all the settings back in place...

15. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I got my camera back. They received my camera on September 7, and returned it September 14.

They put in a new shutter-button-side strap lug, adjusted and tightened the left-side lug, cleaned the camera body and cleaned the sensor. It looked virtually brand new except for one area on the bottom where the enamel chipped off on one of the foot "pads" on the bottom from sitting my camera down on concrete last year. They did a good job!

Camera is back in my hands just in time for the autumn colour change.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Where did it go for service? Did it stay in Canada?

17. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Yes, it stayed in Canada. It went to their Canadian repair contractor which is Trinitek in Mississauga, just west of Toronto.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1