1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 silver body rumour: true?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mistermark, Jul 18, 2014.

1. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    43rumors has run a FT2 story suggesting that a silver edition of the E-M1 could be on the way. Has anyone here heard any talk from Olympus reps, camera shops etc that could either verify or contradict the speculation? I ask because I've been wondering whether to get an E-M1 for a while but prefer silver cameras.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The rumor was that a silver body is coming, and that the camera will gain 4K. Both from the same source. The latter sounds and smells blatantly false, which doesn't leave me optimistic about the former.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I take your point re the second rumour. I'm sure it would need a hardware upgrade and that merely changing the firmware would not give a 4k capability.

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One person commenting was 'O' & in the past he (or she) have commented stating details that were correct (I think). Anyhow, I like what is said & it sounds like he (or she) is someone inside & I hope they don't stop (or be stopped) dropping hints.

5. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I wouldn't mind the black 12mm f2.0 that was part of that rumour.
    I thought paying a premium for a "Limited" black version of the 12mm was a little uncouth.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I was at an Oly event last month with one of their pros and he mentioned that the firmware on his E-M1 was "special" - which I'm assuming means he was running some beta test version. Based on this, I think new firmware is likely. I've heard rumours that they'll be doing a significant EVF UI upgrade (maybe to include orientation-controlled movement of the shooting data like on the Fuji XT1?

• Like Like x 1
  7. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Funny you mention this... My E-M1 is on its way back from Trinitek (Olympus Canada repair depot) after acquiring what looks like a scratch or really stubborn particle stuck to the sensor that becomes visible at all focal lengths longer than 75mm. I sent it in after updating the firmware to the latest version. In the repair notes it indicates that they cleaned the IS unit and sensor, and they "upgraded the firmware". So unless they re-rolled the same version I sent to them, I suppose it's possible my camera will come back with something newer than what I sent it in with.

I'll know Monday afternoon.

8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    If this is true, the EM1 will be my next camera. My DSLR system is at the point of no NAS, and I'm wanting a 4K video system. If this is true I'm all in then for Oly. The sliver EM1 would match my EP5 and I'd probably go for the 12-40/40-150 over the next couple of years. After that I just take turn upgrading my Nikon/Olympus bodies. It is funny how two cameras (Nikkormat FTN and the EPL1) made me a two system person - kind of a slow change to a dual personality. For me personally the EP5/D7100 are the perfect still camera combination for me. I think the EM1 could be the perfect still/video camera. The Gh4 is a great camera but not for run and gun. Also the 12-40/40-150 or 300 seem to fit my style better and the EP5 has convinced me that the 5 axis IBIS is something very special for the way I image with a smaller system.

This is a great time to be photographer.

9. Ross the fiddler

I would really like the firmware upgrade to include an option to use Contrast Detect-AF instead of PD-AF for 4/3's lenses because my 14-54 II works more reliably on the E-M5 in a lot of situations than it does on the E-M1 which defaults to PD-AF as soon as a 4/3's lens is connected. The 14-54 II lens was Live View optimised & I suspect the other lenses that were as well would benefit from that option. At least we would have a choice for specific uses then, & isn't that what a Pro body should give us?

10. shaolinmonk

shaolinmonk Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Toronto Canada
    exciting... would have to sell my em10 and go back up in size for this lol

11. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Yes this is my experience as well. The ability to choose would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It'd be interesting if they could combine PDAF and CDAF to work together, with appropriate lenses, to get speed and accuracy and perhaps be able to utilise some of the m4/3 lens focusing features with 4/3 lenses.

13. Ross the fiddler

If you do anything with another body I would suggest not selling the E-M10 & adding the E-M1 to it (if that is what you want) as having the two bodies is a great advantage.

14. Ross the fiddler

If you look down the following page you will see the scene & photos using the 14-54 II which totally hunted & struggled to get focus (& I don't think it did plus I felt quite embarrassed with it) followed by the 12-50 lens that got it straight away. I might have had better success with 9 focus points instead (with the 14-54 II lens), but that is hardly ideal.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's a very difficult subject for the focus to lock onto, even with the best of cameras when it comes to PDAF. The other question is, what did the CDAF actually focus on in the scene?

16. I think that Olympus could work on making the E-M1 autofocus systems work as a hybrid rather than independently. Currently with a 4/3 lens mounted the camera will not focus at all when you move the focus point outside of the PDAF focus zone, whereas a CDAF-only camera will. The E-M1 should NOT have any areas where it is less usable with 4/3 lenses than it's siblings.

I also agree that the PDAF has introduced some unreliability that didn't exist with CDAF.

• Like Like x 1
  17. fortwodriver

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    If that's the case, you'd have to use the PDAF to drive the lens to the assumed focus point first, then close the loop and use CDAF to narrow and confirm the focus. Isn't that kind-of how the new G4 works? If anything, it would lessen the need for the CDAF system to roll focus fully forward and back to start the Af process in a low-contrast situation.

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    When you attach a 4/3 lens on the E-M1, it automatically restricts the focus area, so it's not possible to go outside of that anyway. It would be nice to be able to have such things as track AF in video, which is only available with m4/3 lenses.

I'm not sure how the G4 works, but I believe that Canon, for example, have this form of hybrid AF, at least for video.

19. The touchscreen still allows you to place the focus point anywhere on the screen, but on the E-M1 (with a 4/3 lens mounted) the camers will do nothing if the focus point is placed outside of the PDAF zone. Any other Olympus m4/3 camera will focus the lens using CDAF under the same scenario.

20. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The matrix for the PDAF is smaller than that for CDAF on the E-M1, so you can't select anything outside of that matrix.