E-M1 silver body rumour: true?

mistermark

Mu-43 Regular
43rumors has run a FT2 story suggesting that a silver edition of the E-M1 could be on the way. Has anyone here heard any talk from Olympus reps, camera shops etc that could either verify or contradict the speculation? I ask because I've been wondering whether to get an E-M1 for a while but prefer silver cameras.

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
The rumor was that a silver body is coming, and that the camera will gain 4K. Both from the same source. The latter sounds and smells blatantly false, which doesn't leave me optimistic about the former.

mistermark

Mu-43 Regular
I take your point re the second rumour. I'm sure it would need a hardware upgrade and that merely changing the firmware would not give a 4k capability.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
One person commenting was 'O' & in the past he (or she) have commented stating details that were correct (I think). Anyhow, I like what is said & it sounds like he (or she) is someone inside & I hope they don't stop (or be stopped) dropping hints.
O
Firmware is indeed coming. New and interesting features will be introduced. This will be the first time Olympus is doing it for their current flagship.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I was at an Oly event last month with one of their pros and he mentioned that the firmware on his E-M1 was "special" - which I'm assuming means he was running some beta test version. Based on this, I think new firmware is likely. I've heard rumours that they'll be doing a significant EVF UI upgrade (maybe to include orientation-controlled movement of the shooting data like on the Fuji XT1?

fortwodriver

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Frank
I was at an Oly event last month with one of their pros and he mentioned that the firmware on his E-M1 was "special" - which I'm assuming means he was running some beta test version. Based on this, I think new firmware is likely. I've heard rumours that they'll be doing a significant EVF UI upgrade (maybe to include orientation-controlled movement of the shooting data like on the Fuji XT1?
Funny you mention this... My E-M1 is on its way back from Trinitek (Olympus Canada repair depot) after acquiring what looks like a scratch or really stubborn particle stuck to the sensor that becomes visible at all focal lengths longer than 75mm. I sent it in after updating the firmware to the latest version. In the repair notes it indicates that they cleaned the IS unit and sensor, and they "upgraded the firmware". So unless they re-rolled the same version I sent to them, I suppose it's possible my camera will come back with something newer than what I sent it in with.

I'll know Monday afternoon.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If this is true, the EM1 will be my next camera. My DSLR system is at the point of no NAS, and I'm wanting a 4K video system. If this is true I'm all in then for Oly. The sliver EM1 would match my EP5 and I'd probably go for the 12-40/40-150 over the next couple of years. After that I just take turn upgrading my Nikon/Olympus bodies. It is funny how two cameras (Nikkormat FTN and the EPL1) made me a two system person - kind of a slow change to a dual personality. For me personally the EP5/D7100 are the perfect still camera combination for me. I think the EM1 could be the perfect still/video camera. The Gh4 is a great camera but not for run and gun. Also the 12-40/40-150 or 300 seem to fit my style better and the EP5 has convinced me that the 5 axis IBIS is something very special for the way I image with a smaller system.

This is a great time to be photographer.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I would really like the firmware upgrade to include an option to use Contrast Detect-AF instead of PD-AF for 4/3's lenses because my 14-54 II works more reliably on the E-M5 in a lot of situations than it does on the E-M1 which defaults to PD-AF as soon as a 4/3's lens is connected. The 14-54 II lens was Live View optimised & I suspect the other lenses that were as well would benefit from that option. At least we would have a choice for specific uses then, & isn't that what a Pro body should give us?

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
I would really like the firmware upgrade to include an option to use Contrast Detect-AF instead of PD-AF for 4/3's lenses because my 14-54 II works more reliably on the E-M5 in a lot of situations than it does on the E-M1 which defaults to PD-AF as soon as a 4/3's lens is connected. The 14-54 II lens was Live View optimised & I suspect the other lenses that were as well would benefit from that option. At least we would have a choice for specific uses then, & isn't that what a Pro body should give us?
Yes this is my experience as well. The ability to choose would be nice.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
It'd be interesting if they could combine PDAF and CDAF to work together, with appropriate lenses, to get speed and accuracy and perhaps be able to utilise some of the m4/3 lens focusing features with 4/3 lenses.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Yes this is my experience as well. The ability to choose would be nice.
It'd be interesting if they could combine PDAF and CDAF to work together, with appropriate lenses, to get speed and accuracy and perhaps be able to utilise some of the m4/3 lens focusing features with 4/3 lenses.
If you look down the following page you will see the scene & photos using the 14-54 II which totally hunted & struggled to get focus (& I don't think it did plus I felt quite embarrassed with it) followed by the 12-50 lens that got it straight away. I might have had better success with 9 focus points instead (with the 14-54 II lens), but that is hardly ideal.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
If you look down the following page you will see the scene & photos using the 14-54 II which totally hunted & struggled to get focus (& I don't think it did plus I felt quite embarrassed with it) followed by the 12-50 lens that got it straight away.
That's a very difficult subject for the focus to lock onto, even with the best of cameras when it comes to PDAF. The other question is, what did the CDAF actually focus on in the scene?

Real Name
Nic
I think that Olympus could work on making the E-M1 autofocus systems work as a hybrid rather than independently. Currently with a 4/3 lens mounted the camera will not focus at all when you move the focus point outside of the PDAF focus zone, whereas a CDAF-only camera will. The E-M1 should NOT have any areas where it is less usable with 4/3 lenses than it's siblings.

I also agree that the PDAF has introduced some unreliability that didn't exist with CDAF.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Frank
If that's the case, you'd have to use the PDAF to drive the lens to the assumed focus point first, then close the loop and use CDAF to narrow and confirm the focus. Isn't that kind-of how the new G4 works? If anything, it would lessen the need for the CDAF system to roll focus fully forward and back to start the Af process in a low-contrast situation.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I think that Olympus could work on making the E-M1 autofocus systems work as a hybrid rather than independently. Currently with a 4/3 lens mounted the camera will not focus at all when you move the focus point outside of the PDAF focus zone, whereas a CDAF-only camera will. The E-M1 should NOT have any areas where it is less usable with 4/3 lenses than it's siblings.
When you attach a 4/3 lens on the E-M1, it automatically restricts the focus area, so it's not possible to go outside of that anyway. It would be nice to be able to have such things as track AF in video, which is only available with m4/3 lenses.

If that's the case, you'd have to use the PDAF to drive the lens to the assumed focus point first, then close the loop and use CDAF to narrow and confirm the focus. Isn't that kind-of how the new G4 works? If anything, it would lessen the need for the CDAF system to roll focus fully forward and back to start the Af process in a low-contrast situation.
I'm not sure how the G4 works, but I believe that Canon, for example, have this form of hybrid AF, at least for video.

Real Name
Nic
When you attach a 4/3 lens on the E-M1, it automatically restricts the focus area, so it's not possible to go outside of that anyway. It would be nice to be able to have such things as track AF in video, which is only available with m4/3 lenses.
The touchscreen still allows you to place the focus point anywhere on the screen, but on the E-M1 (with a 4/3 lens mounted) the camers will do nothing if the focus point is placed outside of the PDAF zone. Any other Olympus m4/3 camera will focus the lens using CDAF under the same scenario.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The touchscreen still allows you to place the focus point anywhere on the screen, but on the E-M1 (with a 4/3 lens mounted) the camers will do nothing if the focus point is placed outside of the PDAF zone. Any other Olympus m4/3 camera will focus the lens using CDAF under the same scenario.
The matrix for the PDAF is smaller than that for CDAF on the E-M1, so you can't select anything outside of that matrix.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom