E-M1 shutter shock problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wido, Apr 6, 2015.

1. wido

wido New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2015
    I have anti shock set to 0 sec. and I can get very sharp images handholding E-M1 (with or without HLD-7, S-AF, IBIS set to S-IS1) with 50-200 SWD at 200mm, 50-200 SWD + EC-20 at 400mm and with Sigma 105 + EC-20 when shutter speed is between 1/100s and 1/250s
    but I get less (sometimes much less) sharp images when I stabilize the camera leaning (me or the lens) against a wall/a tree or when lying down on the ground using shutter speed higher than 1/250s, for example 1/320s (this is weird, looks like AS 0 sec. doesn't work), 1/400s, 1/500s, 1/1000, 1/1600s even 1/2000s and 1/3200s with IBIS on (also on for continuous shooting) or off especially in high speed sequential mode (S-AF). I get pretty sharp images with higher (than 1/250s) shutter speeds when anti shock is set to 1/8s. I've never had such problems with E-520 or E-30 bodies. The more they were supported (leaning against something or lying down) the sharper the images were (especially with IBIS on). Setting release lag to short doesn't help.
    Has anybody had similar problems?
    Best regards,
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Think about how you press the shutter release. Perhaps you are jabbing it instead of a smooth squeeze. Try it.
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've found sharpness handheld with long lenses is a bit of a bit and miss affair. I've convinced myself in the past that continuous shooting at short shutter speeds (1/1000 or faster) is worse than at slower speeds but then on other occasions I've failed to reproduce it. What I have found for sure is that using a good support (e.g. a bean bag or similar) results in much more consistently sharp images.

So, my take home is that sometimes we just expect too much from the technology - and going back to basics is the solution!
  4. excman

excman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Odsherred, Denmark,
    If I remember right, Panasonic recommends disconnecting the stabilization when the tripod is used.
    Handheld but leaning against other hard surface may give the same blur.
    The use of a Bean Bag or similar softer surfaces may be a solution.
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Update your camera to Ver 4 firmware and use the Silent (electronic) Shutter mode. This will eliminate shutter shock, since the mechanical shutter is no longer used. The new firmware also improves IBIS. I find IS-Auto works best for me when using the 75-300 lens. The other thing I do to keep the camera steadier is to place the outside edge of my shutter finger on the collar around the shutter button and then roll my finger over the shutter button to release the shutter. This will prevent "banging" the shutter button.