E-M1 sharpness

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zathras, Oct 4, 2014.

1. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I sold my D90 + 18-55 VR and 70-300 VR (plus lots of other gear) in June and purchased a E-M1 plus 12-40, 45 , 9-18 and 75-300. I've been shooting as much as I can since then, and since I got the 45 it pretty much hasn't left my camera. I think I might just be spoiled now because when I went back today and looked at the photos from my D90, I was shocked to discover that I could not find a single image that I would consider sharp - the E-M1 + 45 combo is so sharp I think I cut myself the first time I looked at images from it! My 70-300 VR I remember I had terrible trouble getting remotely sharp images with, perhaps I just had a dud? Or am I spoiled by the Oly gear? Either way I am absolutely loving the results I am getting, they are spectacular, even with the 75-300 handheld @ 6400, racked right out to 300mm I am getting eminently printable images. Looking forward to the 300 f/4 for aircraft photos!

• Like Like x 2
  2. SiamK

SiamK Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2014
    Hi Chris,

Great to see that you are content with your new gear! I made my move from Canon to M4/3 in 2012, and I never looked back since.... :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Was never happy with the sharpness I got from my Canon gear.
    Updated models each time thinking I would be getting better focusing but it never eventuated (350d, 400d, 30d, 40d, 60d, 7d).
    Tried an EM-5 and I was sold. Finally a camera that could focus. I was blown away.
    Sold all my Canon gear and am Olympus all the way now.
  4. MNm43

MNm43 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    I've used the 70-300 with my D70, D90, and D7100. I always thought it was a very good (but not great) consumer-grade, relatively slow, telephoto, particularly considering the price point. Most people consider it relatively soft over 240mm and I always felt you had to stop it down to f8 before it started to reach potentially good sharpness. It performed well enough on the D70, but less well on the D90 and I only tried it once on the D7100. The D300 f4 performed far better.
  5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    Hey Chris

Put me down as another who moved from APS to m43 and was glad of the change. Much is made about the itty bitty difference between 43rds and APS sensor size, but the fact it its not so different.

The optical viewfinder on SLR cameras with smaller than full frame sensors is usually too small for checking critical and the AF systems are just not up to the task of accurate focus even if PhaseDetect is a bit faster. To me the few years of DSLR were frustrating times with back focus and front focus usually contributing to soft images.

Micro 43 has been great for me too :)

PS you may want to look at a legacy 300mm f4 first (unless money is no object) as for aircraft at a distance you often don't need auto focus anyway as the flybyes are often all at the same distance anyway (and at a distance where the zone in focus is quite wide anyway

Canon FD 300mm f4 or Olympus 300mm f4.5 are under 300 bucks
  6. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I have considered an OM 300/4, I did wonder if AF would be needed...