1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 sensor question or any other Oly with ibis: Do you hear or notice the sensor move when not powe

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by G1Reflector_949, Jan 17, 2014.

1. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I think this may be a E-M1 specific question (but it may possibly apply to other Olympus Cameras that have 5-axis image stabilization like the Pen E-P5 & OM-D E-M5), but do any owners of an E-M1 (or camera with similar in body image stabilization) notice the sensor making noise like it moves or is somewhat loose or moving somewhat freely inside the camera body when not powered on?

This goes away once I power on the camera.

My guess is that the sensor actually moves to provide the i.b.i.s. so it holds the sensor more firmly when powered on. But, once powered off, there is no power keeping the sensor from moving so it can jostle around inside the camera when not on.

Can anyone confirm this? Just want to be sure nothing was actually broken or not functioning properly in my E-M1. I had an E-M5, but I never noticed this state of the sensor and the noise it can subtly make when not powered on.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    There is some noise when the camera is powered, which is just the magnets holding the sensor in a neutral position.
    There is a different noise, which is a bit louder when IBIS is actually tracking.
    Depending on your setting this either happens on half press of the shutter, giving you a stabilized preview, or after you press the shutter, in which case you would only hear it for the duration of the exposure.
    Rudy

3. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    I get there is still some noise when camera is on and ibis is active. I'm not questioning that.

I'm referring to when the camera is off.

I'm thinking the noise is from the sensor moving around inside the camera loosely.. like if I tilt the camera or make a sudden movement when holding the camera, I can here something move inside which seems to be coming from approximately where the sensor is located. It doesn't happen all of the time, but enough where I notice it. I'm guessing it's a normal "action" of the sensor when the camera is off since there is nothing powered to actively hold the sensor in place when off... so, it can shift around a bit inside camera.. I just never noticed this at all when I had my E-M5... could be a result of the newer updated 5-axis ibis in the E-M1 (& possibly the E-P5 as well).

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My E-M5 rattles if I shake it hard enough.

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Sorry, I missed the part about the camera being powered off.
    Yes, there is some noise when you shake the camera. After all the sensor needs to be able to move and apparently Olympus did not think it was necessary to restrict the motion when power is off.
    This is normal. Both my E-M5 bodies rattle when shaken.
    Rudy

6. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Yes, when the camera is off, the sensor actually drops to the bottom of the frame. If you shake it hard enough it will bounce in its frame.

7. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    My EM1 made some pretty weird noises tonight when i was in the menus and i put it down to the battery on it's last bit of power but then I put a fresh one in and it was quiet for a bit before it started doing it again but not as badly and not consistently. I guess it could be the metering which was set to centre weighted, it wasn't on AWB. I dunno i know it's kinda strange the noise it made ?? Also it was positioned on a table all that time so IBIS wasn't dealing with anything really so I have know idea what could of made it sound like that. It was dead quiet in the house so maybe I haven't noticed this noise before? Have a go listening to your camera in a silent environment it'll give you the creeps !

8. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    I noticed it again tonight, It's strange but I have had the 12-40 on the body for the last two days and tonight when it made noises i moved the zoom and it instantly went quiet, I did this a few times, let it sit in the menus or just still on the table taking photos and when it started whirring like the AF motor but erratic I just move the zoom and it goes silent. On my EM5 I never noticed this but I hardly used the 12-50, I did on the first few days but that was all and i don't remember any strange noises from it. I'll have to try it on the EM1 to see if it's linked to all zooms, i also have the 40-150 i can try. Another time though I've got work in the morning.

9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    On another note, too lazy to start a whole new thread about. I noticed that when I have Manual Focus on Mode 3 which lets you use the AEL/AFL button as S-AF It won't work when you use the MF Clutch Ring on the 12-40. I can't see why not but i'm guessing there must be a technical reason or has Olympus missed something here?