1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1: SD card door super hard to operate - anyone has the same issue?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mxlin, Jun 16, 2014.

1. mxlin

mxlin Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2010
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Hi, just acquired an E-M1 and notice the SD card door is very "tight" and not easily opened when compared with other OM cameras (i.e. E-M5). Just wondering if it's a common issue other owners has been experiencing.

2. nog

nog New to Mu-43

May 25, 2014
    North Wales, UK
    Keith
    Mine is pretty tight as well, sometimes find it easier to use my nail to pull it open rather than push it open- think that makes sense.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Mine is a little tight as well. Needs a bit of pressure and push to open it or use fingernail to push it. However, no complaints here since I would prefer a bit tight over a bit loose as such on the Fuji XT1 which can pop open just from handling the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nog

nog New to Mu-43

May 25, 2014
    North Wales, UK
    Keith
    Thinking about it might be something to do with the water/weather resistance?

• Like Like x 1
  5. mxlin

mxlin Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2010
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Thanks for all the feedbacks, good to know it's not a defect, just need to keep my nails untrimmed...

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Push towards the center of the camera and then slide it.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Same here.

8. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Mines fine. Slide towards the back of the camera and it flips up. No problem.

9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    You should not be using fingernails. Simply push with the flat of your thumb and slide it back.

10. Ross the fiddler

When your hand hurts because of arthritis & find it difficult to press hard enough with the thumb or finger, it is comforting to know the fingernail in the double line ridges works much less painlessly & I am thankful there is that possibility with that SD cover. It is more difficult to open than the E-M5 because of its flat design whereas the E-M5's cover has an angled surface with the ridge on that angled bend, giving it an easier surface to grip. One could argue it might be possible to bump it (E-M5) open, but it hasn't happened to me at all.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I just press down and pull back with my forefinger and it opens easily.

12. Ross the fiddler

It does get easier the more often it is done, but the finger nail :wink: makes it easier for me (as arthritis in my thumb joints reduces strength in my hands). I feel a little unsure about the ruggedness of it as I close it though, as I feel the latching lugs need to be engaged properly or maybe they could be broken if pushed in carelessly with too much force.

13. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I have days when my thumbs kill me just turning a tap or a door handle, but I've not had any issues opening the SD card hatch. Firm but comfortable pressure and it slides back happily. :thumbup:

I like that there is a positive feel to the release - I'd rather that than a hatch that randomly opens just because I breathe the wrong way.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ross the fiddler

Yes, I know about those days too, but thankfully not too often. :frown: I do agree it is better to be firm & not falling open. :smilie:

15. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I'm also a cyclist. There are days when I really dread getting a flat. Rolling a tyre back on with bad hands is ... unpleasant.

• Like Like x 1