1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

e-m1 rumored specs?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by robbie36, Jul 2, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    From 43rumors.....

DSLR-like design, similar to the E-M5 but with a larger grip that will contain an additional control dial on top
    Micro Four Thirds mount
    16MP sensor
    81 AF points
    3″ tiltable LCD screen
    Electronic viewfinder with 2,300,000 pixels
    Max shutter: 1/8000
    10 fps
    Built-in Wi-Fi

I have to admit I really am in no particular hurry to upgrade my E-M5 but I do really like the sound of this new camera. In particular, the bigger grip to take away the need for the HLD-6 plus an added control dial and presumably room for a bigger battery.

Plus presumably all the goodies from the EP-5.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The screen, WiFi, EVF, 1/8000, 10 fps and Wi-Fi are all available on the E-P5, so those are pretty safe bets for an new OM-D model.

The grip and the AF points are pretty plausible too - adding AF points is inexpensive with CDAF, and if they're going upmarket, a larger body probably makes sense. I don't see the need/use for a 3rd control dial - the 2 we have seem like they cover almost all possibilities.

I'd hope they have at least one groundbreaking new feature though - a purely incremental upgrade doesn't seem like it will be enough to command a higher price and larger marketshare in these competitive times.

3. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    That is exactly what i dont like about that. but again those are just rumors. long way to go yet.

4. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Well hopefull this is the "other" OM-D line and the E-M5 upgrade will keep the original size. If they enlarge the line and don't keep an E-M5 like profile, I'll be jumping ship to a Fuji X-Pro, the optical finder of which really keeps calling me. I did not not sell my 4/3 DSLRs and go into m4/3 because I wanted big and bulky.

5. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    If those are true, theres only one thing I need that has not been mentioned, better continuous focus performance. :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

6. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Actually there is a good reason why this design can definitely command a premium price. I am sure that there are a lot of people like me who have bought the HLD-6 to improve the ergonomics of the E-M5. That means that we all have paid an additional US$300 on top of the E-M5 price. So if the E-M1 is US$300 more than the E-M5, it will still look decent value.

81 focus points will hopefully mean a smaller af focus box by default.

I do agree that we dont really need an additional control wheel, I would however like to see a vertical wheel just behind the shutter button like on the GH3.

7. leendertv

leendertv Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2011
    Rotterdam, Netherlands
    Leendert
    "DSLR-like design, similar to the E-M5 but with a larger grip that will contain an additional control dial on top"

It sounds like a good Panasonic G alternative (when the price is right)!
    I hope so!

8. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I personally do not see anything here that will make me let my EM-5 go and replace with this, it appears to be a halfway house!

I do like the HLD-6 grip as it allows multiple choices, main grip for better hold for landscape without too much extra bulk, then add the battery part for additional balance, hold and control when using bigger heavier lenses - it is a great choice for me and flexible with it.

There are four primary requirements that I have to make me consider upgrading (and ideally not to anything larger than current OMD and able to use existing HLD-6 grip on it)

1. Shutter speed of between 1/8000 - 1/12000
    2. Flash sync of 1/500
    3. Useable AFC / tracking (PDAF)
    4. Base ISO of 100

9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I hope a bunch of you guys upgrade to to newest, greatest, and "dump" your E-m5 on us poor folks. :smile: I really would like to find one in "my" price range. (Read, half price!) :biggrin: Not happening? OK. You don't mind if I dream a bit, do you? :wink:

10. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Why would they name this E-M1 and not E-M6 ?? Doesn't this suggest a new line altogether?

M

11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    That's my thought -- not intended as a replacement for the E-M5, but as another M series camera.

Maybe Olympus is going to change their numbering system, and the replacement for the E-M5 will be the E-M5 II or the E-M5n.

12. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    My thought on the names is they are pulling a Canon, at least in respect to some of their more "Pro" bodies. So you have 1D above 5D above 7D. It will be interesting to see if we get an E-M5 mkII.

Personally, I just got my E-M5 w/ grip a couple of weeks ago (traded in my D7000 + two lenses to make it an even trade), and have to say I'm mostly pleased. Image quality is fine. Autofocus is really good. And as I learn a few tricks (i.e. fine tuning focus after AF) the camera will prove to be a better tool for me.

What I hope to see:
    1. Phase Detection Autofocus (Sony has it in the NEX line, so no reason Olympus can't now)
    2. Manual Focus assist ala X100s (probably won't happen, but I can dream)
    3. Dual card slots
    4. Raw Video

2 and 4 probably won't happen, and 3 I would give a 50/50 shot. 1 is probable, but still not certain.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I am like many, I hope that the size is not increased too much. I am also interested in hearing what Olympus has done with the video. There are two photographers in my house so this might be a nice additional body.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's reasonable to simultaneously have a larger and a smaller OM-D design since users go both ways on this. The larger one will probably have better specs just because there's room, e.g., a bigger battery. I suspect Olympus feels the need to get things out the door, so models with main features like upgraded EVF and WiFi are inevitable. The obvious upgrade is a new sensor with PDAF but Sony may not have one ready yet.

15. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, could be. It is how they used to do things with the OM line.

You had the single letter pro models, which then had letters appended for updated versions -- OM-2, OM-2n, OM-2s. And the dual letter prosumer versions, OM-10/20/30/40 (or 10/G/F/PC depending on market).

And they would run multiple models at the same time.

16. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Maybe I just sell my EPM2, get the EM1 and using the EM5 as 2nd body :drinks: