1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 (& perhaps other Oly models, as well), Playback Quick Focus Checking Tip using Fn1 Button

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by G1Reflector_949, Jul 11, 2014.

1. G1Reflector_949

G1Reflector_949 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2013
    Sacramento, CA
    Hey, I was playing around with my E-M1 at work and going through playback and pushed the Fn1 button by accident.

I have an E-M1 and will comment specifically for this particular camera, but this may and probably does apply to the E-M5 & E-M10 (and probably Pen cameras) as well.

This may be old news, but I have not personally found any documentation or anybody commenting on this particularly cool feature of the E-M1 (or any other Oly MFT camera) during playback, so I guess I will share it. If it's old news, sorry, it's new to me and will greatly enhance my portrait sessions as I it will allow for super fast focus checking... don't have to zoom and scroll around (or push around if using touch screen) to check your focus, this is much faster.

So, when you are in playback reviewing photos on your E-M1, if you press the Fn1 button on the upper right corner, there will be a green box displayed. A number in the lower left corner, probably set to 2x will show you that the box will give you a 2x zoom of that specific area. You can adjust the magnification up to 14x with the rear command dial. Press the Fn1 again to actually zoom into the focus box area.. while zoomed up you can use the rear command dial to also adjust the magnification. Press the Fn1 button again to exit the zoom mode.

I like it a lot! If you are confident you nailed the focus and want to quickly check where the green box appears in your composition, that's a fast way to focus check as it will highlight the area you may (or may not) have intended to lock focus on. But, to be more certain, just press the Fn1 button again and it'll quickly zoom right into the focus point (closer if you already have magnification set higher like 10x or more).

Usually the E-M1 focuses dead on, so having the magnification set down to 14x so the smallest green box will appear should be enough to quickly check to see if focus is in the specific area you wanted or not... then just move on or retake the shot if it's not in the area you thought was suppose to be the center of focus. It's a handy tool/function that you can use while eye up to EVF to check your image right after you take the shot... and as an added benefit, it's nice to be able to check like this cause it doesn't appear you are chimping.

That's it, just wanted to share that tip bit. Have a good weekend and happy shooting!

NOTE: I have my magnification button set to Fn1 when I take photos, so if it doesn't work for you above, it may be cause you have to press whatever focus magnification button you have set to do so... maybe, if not, the Fn1 may be default button during playback for doing quick focus check as described above.

• Like Like x 7
  2. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Indiana
    I did not know...thanks for sharing that!

3. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Quick and easy - excellent tip - Thanks!

4. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    not for us focus-recompose shooters though

5. A quick way of zooming in and confirming focus or indeed checking the sharpness of any point within an image is to double tap the touchscreen on the point that you wish to inspect. Double tapping again will return you to the full image.

• Like Like x 4
  6. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    This is fantastic! It's much quicker to check to see if an eye is in focus using this method than how I was doing it before. Thanks for sharing.

7. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Great tip. Thanks!