E-M1 Owners--what will it take for you to upgrade to the future Mk II?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Johnny The Greek, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    I'm only asking because I'm regretting not having a weather sealed body to go out in the rain and do some, well... wet shots. I love my current set-up and don't mind having two different types of batteries (that's what magic markers are for).

With the newest 4.0 firmware upgrade, the E-M1 still looks like an incredible value, especially considering it's price point. I'm pretty sold on buying one this year, but I was just curious what present owners of the E-M1 feel they might trade in for.

2. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    My big wish for the replacement for the E-M1 is that the phase detect AF sensors on the sensor will be cross type instead of just horizontal. But that said, I won't be upgrading from my E-M1 as for now it does everything I need it to do even if it does it without cross type PDAF.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It would take a big step up to get me to trade my E-M1 in. Much better action AF, a further improved viewfinder, substantial decrease in noise at all ISO and more dynamic range might do it. Image stabilization is already good, shutter lag is very short and handling is good. I'd also be willing to trade up with a noticeable improvement in the previously mentioned areas and moving the on/off switch to where the lever at the AEL/AFL button is located so I can pick up and turn the camera on with one hand. My old Canon EF body had the on/off switch there and it was great for managing camera power.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MassimoFoti

MassimoFoti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    Lugano (Switzerland)
    Same here, Oly would have an hard time convincing me to upgrade. I would say an improved sensor could be the deciding factor but I don't expect anything breathtaking in that area.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It would really depend on price. Things I'm even looking for are better C-AF and improved noise performance (especially long exposures, it's the only thing I miss about my E-M5 Mk1). It's a long shot, but maybe that awesome astrotracer feature that Pentax do with their IBIS. Everything else, such as touchpad AF control from the E-M10 Mk2, improved MySet operation, better kit flash, improved video, headphone socket, high res mode, etc, are nice to haves.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I really, really want vastly improved C-AF and high ISO performance for shooting sports.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    A larger viewfinder and battery would be nice, basically usability upgrades as the current E-M1 already ticks enough boxes for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Akashi

Akashi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2010
    Tromso, Norway
    Articulating screen, 60fps video, an improved mic in (amplifier is noisy), 20 mp sensor - thats about it for me. If this is in, I would upgrade :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Significantly improved C-AF with cross points for PD-AF sensors would be nice. HR mode too.

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I've just picked up a second E-M1 to replace an E-P5.

Aside from winning a lottery, it'd have to have:
    • Less noise
    • Higher dynamic range
    • 24 megapixel sensor
    • Handheld hi-res
    Or, seeing as no native tilt-shift looks will ever see the light of day, the ability for the stabilisation system to keystone the sensor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    The current EM1 is pretty damn good already. If no new cameras were ever released for any system ever again I could be pretty happy where things are now.

However, since you ask, things do wear out over time and given my reducing video work (out of choice) I may just replace the GH4 with an EM1 mkII if the specs are good enough AND it's controls are suitably similar to the current EM1.

I'd be looking for better noise handling in the ISO1600-6400 range.

More dynamic range would be welcome, but I never have trouble working within the range we already have, so really it would be a bonus.

Hi-Res mode is pretty much guaranteed. If we can have some handheld version of it then even better.

Better video features would be nice, specifically being able to record unlimited, or at least a fixed 29:59 and not random times based on a 4GB file limit then stop.

I'm not a sports shooter or birder and I no longer have any lenses that need PD-AF.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That's tough.
    1. The 20 mp sensor is nice but from what I've seen not worth an expensive upgrade. If Olympus coudl work some lower noise that would be better than MP.
    2. I don't care about video so that's not incentive.
    3. Faster C-AF/Tracking? maybe.
    4. I don't care about PDAF in itself. I want better results (see 3)
    5. Mine has been fine, but I'd like to see those flaky dials redesigned.

As said above, it's already pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2015
    Doubt I'll do it.
    Can't stand thought of the way the touchscreen rotates outside on Pen-F, EM-5MKII and probably other Olympus bodies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Permission from the boss...is about all I'd need...that and a bank account full of spare cash, cause I'm sure it'll be $1400-1600. Seeing that neither one is going to happen in the next year (starting a basement finishing project next week), I'd be fine if they held off on the em1ii for at least 10 months.

I really want the top dial similar to the pen f with the c1/2 buttons, better c-af tracking, articulating screen, handheld hi-Rez, or something that allows for a bit of movement (like water/trees) without weird artifacts...id even be ok if I had to use a tripod if it allowed for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Better C-AF and sensor. With Sony being the only game in town for 4/3 sensors, if it comes out this year it will be 20mp and no PDAF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. johnvanatta

johnvanatta Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    I'd like a lower (true) base ISO like the Nikon d810 has. 100 would help but even lower would be good to squeak a bit more out of the sensor when there is ample light.
    A rework of the menu system
    Better performance EVF, aim for best in the world, not just good enough.
    Better C-AF
    High res is pretty much a given, if they could maybe get 3 or 4 shot version handheld that'd be great.
    Astrotracer function like Pentax has is pretty neat, I don't think astro is a very strong point for m43; that would change it.
    Tune the raw files to be less highlighty. I frequently flatline LR's highlights down to -100 and still want more.
    User programmability of the interface, or at least just the SCP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I do not have the E-M1 but zero shutter shock comes to my mind. An electronic global shutter would be great and could be the trick for hi-res handheld shots. Dual SD card could be interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hand held hi-res or better-noise-than-the-new-20Mp-sensor (and no articulated screen). Thar's my "buy" trigger.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Joe Smith

Joe Smith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    With the new functions of firmware 4, especially the fully electronic shutter, the E-M1 offers about everything I've ever dreamt of. The only thing I really would want is less noise at base ISO and less noise at high ISO, e.g. ISO 3200 or even 6400 with the same amount of noise as today's ISO 800. More dynamic range would also be nice, of course, but frankly, I'm already pretty happy as it is in this respect. On the other hand, I do NOT want an articulating screen, heaven forbid! I really fear they will add such an atrocity. I shoot a lot from the hip with focus and shutter release by tapping the screen, which would be a lot clumsier with an articulating screen. Articulating screens may be great for videographers, but for me, the E-M1 is a photo machine and not a video machine. If I were interested in video, I would buy a video recorder.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  20. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I'm a late comer to the E-M1, having just bought one in the past week. I've updated to the latest FW, and I like everything about the camera: weight, balance, focus peaking, quiet shutter, etc. My E-M5 still looks new, so unless something happens to one of my cameras, I'm set for a long time.