E-M1 overheat in bag

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jbravo14, Apr 6, 2015.

1. jbravo14

jbravo14 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    This weekend watched a concert and decided to test out he em-1 12-40 combo.

Was taking pictures every once and a while placing the camera back in the bag alternately.

Left the camera in the bag for more an 30 mins, and as reached for my camera it was scorching hot!

Turned it off right away until it got a bit cold and tried to shoot again after 15 mins or so. Everything seems to operate fine except for the proximity sensor in on EVF.

It sometimes works and sometimes does not. Battery ran out so waited until I got home to further test it.

Put in my E-m5 battery on the em1 and still the issue seems to be the same it sometimes work and couple of times did not.

The next day brought it with me and still the same thing it sometimes works and sometimes does not. One thing I noticed is that after turning off the EVF option of auto switch and forcing it using the screen button, the proximity sensor started working again.

2nd day after the issue tried to replicate the proximity sensor issue and seems to have been resolved now.

Anybody else had the overheating issue with side effects?

What option would help prevent this overheat from happening again?

I know em1 is freeze proof, but don't know if it is heat proof....?

Any one had EVF proximity sensor issues?
  2. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Don't leave the camera on when you put it in the bag?

I only leave a camera on if I know I'm going to be shooting in the next minute...if not it gets switched off (especially if it's going to be put away)...it only takes a fraction of a second longer to switch the camera on while you are putting the camera to your eye.
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Also set the timer so that it automatically goes to sleep after a set time.
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    There are couple choices for Sleep and Auto Power off timers in menus (*D) - they are there for reason!
  5. jbravo14

jbravo14 Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 18, 2013
    The issue still seemed to exist on my proximity sensor. There seems to be a 10-15 second delay from sleep or turning on the camera. However this is not replicable 100% of the time, only happens sporadically
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Except the timer might not engage if the eye sensor is always being activated, or some button being pressed by the pressure of the bag.
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    There's something wrong with the camera, or battery. There is no normal operating condition where the camera should get that hot. Thermal, or current sensors, should have shut the camera before it got that hot.