E-M1 or E-P5...Decision made.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave in Wales, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Thinking of getting back into M43, I've had a couple of E-M1's but I'm rather drawn to the E-P5.

Opinions of the E-P5 v E-M1 from owners both past and present, would be much appreciated.

I'm coning up for 72, wear specs, so a fixed VF is not a must.

Macro is a must for me, the 60mm is in my sights.

Also recommendations for a 'good' Oly standard zoom, the 12-40 I would guess is a bit big for the E-P5.

Thanks in advance.

Many thanks to all......Just ordered an E-M1 + 12-40.
    The macro will have to go on the back burner for a while, from the results I've seen the 12-40 serves very well as a CF zoom.

My dear wife is buying the 12-40 as a Xmas present ;-)))

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have both. The E-P5 is very similar to the E-M1. If you don't need an EVF then the E-P5 is a very cheap solution. I bought mine recently, new, for £316.
    The E-M1 is what I use all the time though, the EVF is excellent.

The 12-40 is fine on the E-P5, as is the 60mm macro. There is nothing better than the 12-40, and it is that lens that will make sure you get high quality images, more than the choice of camera.

3. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
  4. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Is the EM5 kind of a halfway house between these 2, they are going cheap now also?

5. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
  6. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    The EM5 is an old one with the builtin EVF. It is being phased out so it is being sold off cheap. It is a lower quality build than the E-P5 or E-M1.

The E-P5 is the top of the range Pen - i.e. no built-in EVF - but smaller. High quality.

7. zulfur666

zulfur666 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Given you "want the 60mm Macro" I'd definitely recommend the E-M1 over the E-P5, as I can't imagine shooting macro without the EVF simply on the LCD.

8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    For a "always with me" , all round camera (with either the VF2 or VF4) the EP5 is really something special (even the video can be made to work if you are careful about the detail in the scene). I bought it to replace my travel camera (EPL1) and find that it is an amazing imaging machine, I would be happy with just it. My kit is very small (14-42 R, 40-150, Pany 14+ GWC1, Siggy 30mm) and I've found that small is key for me. The EM1 is pretty much the same size as my D7100/D7000 and if I put the 2.8 zooms with it, I'd lose the smallness I love about m43. This is personal, but I find there is some "magic" in the EP5 design and feel, like the Pen F. It will be a camera I keep a very long time and lately I've been buying one a year:(

I plan on getting the E6 in February if it has IBIS and 4K, but will definitely keep my EP5.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you are working on a tripod, the LCD does have its advantages. Handheld, I would agree with you.

--Ken

10. Growltiger

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I have done a lot of macro work without an EVF. You can hold the camnera down near the ground and thinks to the hinged LCD you can see what is happening. In my case I did a lot of photos holding the camera just above the water surface of rock pools, and took flash photos of small creatures through the surface of the water.

To use the EVF near the ground you would have to lie flat on the ground with your chin in the mud...

• Like Like x 1
  11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Well, the E-M1 also has a tilting LCD.

12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I have the E-P5 and had handled the E-M1 as well. I choose the E-P5 because of being a modular rangefinder camera, a PEN. I like PENS and that's what my whole point going into m43 in the first place. If you want to use a bigger zoom lens, you may need to get a grip for it. JB Camera Designs is a nice wooden grip that attaches to the E-P5 and gives a nice firm grip almost like the E-M1 with heavier lenses as well as MMF3+4/3 lens like the 14-54 or the 70-300.

I don't have a specific lens to do Macro so I used a closeup lens or my Zuiko 14-54 which focuses close enough and I use the 14-54 a lot on my E-P5 as well as on my E-1, so I can't comment on the 12-40. But the 14-54 is slightly bigger than the 12-40 and is doable hand holding it. With a grip though, it feels mucho better!

13. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

E-P5/VF-4 combo also has an EVF which tilts 90 degrees up!

Very handy - I find the main problem with it is... remembering that it's even a thing I can do. You can shoot with the EVF at something right above your own head without tilting your neck even :D

• Like Like x 1
  14. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Sounds like you are not enthused about my first choice/recommendation:
    EM-1 with 12-40f2.8

I just sold my EP-5 with the VF-4 and a 14-42 EZ lens for pretty cheap. I tried them both and good as the EP-5 is, it does not compare with the EM-1 except in the smallness of the envelope (without the EVF). If you want to do macro, it seems that EVF would be useful in some cases.

15. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
    Ah shoot. Sorry. The "P" totally slipped by me :)

16. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Own both, and you couldn't go wrong with either.

Benefit of the E-M1 is its weather sealing. If you intend on shooting in inclement weather (which wouldn't surprise me as a macro shooter) and if aging hands need better ergonomics then choice is made.

Else, the E-P5 is a joy to use with a half-case. No issues adding the O60 or O12-40PRO on the rangefinder-style body, and is a little less unassuming if you decide to do any street portraiture with the O60 attached.

(Just remember that while both of the lenses mentioned are weather sealed, this is negated when attached to the E-P5)

17. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
  18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Funnily enough, my VF-2 also attaches to the E-M1 and works the same way as it does on all the other compatible bodies. :)