1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 (or E-M10 or E-M5) silver - how is the finish ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by colonelpurple, Oct 21, 2014.

1. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Thinking of buying a E-M1 in silver. (Just because I like the look of the silver, although I know that black is more practical, especially for urban shooting!)

I have used a black E-M1 before but can't seem to find a silver one in a shop to look at

I wondered if anyone has one and can comment on the finish. I wondered if the silver is solid metal, anodized plastic or plastic ? and whether its painted or bare metal (which is better, as I think scratches are better then paint chips).

Not a very serious thread I know but important for me ;)

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    To be honest I think the silver is a better urban camera. The reason I say that is the silver/black actually blends in better versus and all black camera for street shooting. It's less intimidating and looks old, my E-M10 constantly gets mistaken for a film camera. I've shot in shady areas and nobody seems to take notice or care.

Regarding the silver finish, at least on my E-M10 I've yet to see any flaking or other paint related issues. I've even dropped my camera and the paint seems to be holding steady.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    I haven't seen the silver E-m1, but the silver E-m5 has a painted finish. It is not of my linking. The camera would of look much better with solid/bare metal like an old SLR. It may not be possible for a weather-sealed body.

4. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    My EM5 is a year and a half old and well looked after. But the silver on the sharp corners is worn off slightly revealing a dark colour underneath.

5. lawrenjp

lawrenjp Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    *Engineering twitch* Just to clarify, you can't really anodize plastic...

It's a painted heavily textured plastic in some parts and silver metal in others, but it's done well and seems to be holding up just fine on my EM10 after a while. I loved the film/retro look of it, and it definitely makes the camera seem less threatening with street photography. It's nice to have a camera that's not all black! Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
  6. colonelpurple

Feb 7, 2013
    thanks
    is the top plate metal ?

7. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    The top plate of the E-m5 and the E-m10 are silver painted magnesium alloy

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

To put it in perspective, my black E-M5 has corner wear marks in its paint job anyway, revealing bare metal underneath.

9. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    As an indication of how good the silver paint job is, until this thread I hadn't realized that some of the silver on my E-M5 was paint, not all metal.

I happen to love the retro look of the silver version. I've been asked repeatedly if it's a film camera, too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. luke59

luke59 New to Mu-43

Oct 10, 2014
    Silver all the way. My E-M10 looks amazing in silver and the finish is superb.
    I had to wait almost a week to get the silver model instead of just getting the black that was already in stock but totally worth the wait.
    Really classy look to the camera.

11. rich.smith

rich.smith Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 21, 2011
    Definitely the silver. I just didn't like the look of my silver 45mm on an all black camera. I

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Definitely the black. I don't like any of the silver cameras (leica, fuji or Oly) much, and the black E-M5 I used to own very frequently got mistaken for an old film cam. I don't think either camera is intimidating or less standoutish. So go with what you think looks good.

13. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    EM-1 in silver is dreamy

14. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    The benefit of Olympus bringing out a silver EM 1, as I posted before, means I can upgrade from my silver EM 5 without my girlfriend noticing that I spent a horrible amount of money on another camera.

• Like Like x 1
  15. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    I got a silver E-M10 and love the finish...really sets the camera off IMO (especially if you like the old film camera/retro look).

16. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    Interesting... I don't know if I'd want people "noticing" I had a camera they thought was a film camera. I haven't encountered anyone noticing me taking photos with my black E-M1. Also, the only spot my E-M1 has paint wearing off is on the little "nipples" on the base of the camera. If you turn the camera upside down, there are four "feet" that look like little nipples on the bottom of the camera - I suppose they're wearing to shiny metal of some sort because I tend to put my camera down on the table when we stop for a bite wherever we are.

Otherwise, the rest of the camera hasn't begun to "brass" yet. My old black OM-4 (not T version) appears to have more of a 'candy coating' than the E-M1)... It's thicker, and more like dull lacquer.

Loved the comment about anodizing plastic above though... lol!

17. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    So my E-M5 is basically a silver painted magnesium alloy frame? Interesting, I always thought that was a native colour without any paint...

OMD_Magnesium.

18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Errr... I think you have one or two bits missing.

19. colonelpurple

Feb 7, 2013
    "Anodising is an electrolytic passivation used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of the metal parts"

I.e. Adding a layer of rust to prevent rust :D

Sorry about the plastic confusion above ...

20. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I THINK the E-M10 is a combination metal and painted plastic parts (though I could be wrong). The viewfinder hump and top plate has a cold feel to it, while the silver trim has a warmer feel I associate with painted plastic.

To be honest, I'm not sure which is better at absorbing the every day knocks and bumps a camera in heavy use gets. Nor am I certain which I would prefer to have. Plastic is much stronger than it used to be. And the E-M10's size and weight prevents it from swinging into things with the same force that DSLR often did. And plastic is generally lighter in weight.

I have always preferred silver colored cameras, even when all black was the height of photographic fashion.