E-m1 or E-m10 mk2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by a_hit_of_meth, Sep 1, 2016.

1. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    I recently sold my gx-7 which I regret. I was thinking of getting an xt10 later in the year but while having a casual look at the E-m10 mkii, i found that there were some E-m1's available locally for 130usd. The price of the E-m1 body at 667usd with an sd card, one original battery and one generic battery seems quite tempting.

Apart from it's size, I am not a fan of the E-m10 ii, it feels heavier than my E-m10 did despite being around the same weight. Also, the way I pick up the camera means my thumb slides along and rotates the rear dials, and like my old E-m10 I find it far too easy to rotate the front and rear dials while handling it.

I've never considered the E-m1 seriously in the past due to it's astronomical price relative to my budget, and it's size. The whole reason I got into M43 was the pocketable bodies but after the past few years of having used narrow body camera's like the E-m5/10, GX1, EPl3 and ep3, I'm willing to go with something larger. The E-m1 doesn't feel that much heavier with the grip and besides, the other options like the E-M5mk2 and GX8 are both similarly sized.

The thing is, I wasn't planning on spending this much money and I don't know if I need this much firepower. I'm a casual shooter, don't shoot raw or anything that needs 10fps or high buffering compared to what's already available with the cheaper bodies. These days I do photography while hiking so the grip is nice and the rugged, weathersealed body means there is less for me to worry about when I'm out. Also, earlier this year I sold my 25 1.4 and 12-35 so I won't have any good lenses to use with this body apart from my 12-50 and pana 14-42ii, and I won't be able to afford any others for some time.

I like the E-m1 but I'm not sure I really need it.
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You could wait for the E-M1 Mk2 to come out, used E-M1 prices will take a dive. Sure, you don't need it specifically but given the price at that point why not?

I got my E-M1 because used prices had dropped to the point where it was lower than newer, less capable stuff! I ran with that and the 12-50 for ages as my outdoor weather sealed combo, it worked pretty well.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks wjiang. I think this is as low as the prices will get locally, these are the last three I've been able to find, usually when stocks run out that's it, so there won't be any more coming after this last batch runs out.

The price is good enough but still higher than what I normally spend on a body. I've been trying to convince myself the past few hours that that I should get the E-m10 ii, it's more than sufficient for what I need and actually the dslr type weight and slightly larger footprint are both negatives for the E-m1. I still want it though. Despite having lugs that come lose over time and an evf that turns green from exposure to light it's still more appealing than the alternatives out now. I just need to justify spending that money on something I don't really need right now and is less practical for my uses.

Here's a more detailed comparison of the price between the two available kits:
    It's 667usd for the E-m1 body with three batteries (2 orig, 1 generic), an sd card and case.
    It's the same price for an E-m10 mk2, 14-42ez and 40-150, sd and 3 batteries. Both lenses I can resell for about 220usd so the actual price would be 447usd for the body only.
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Brand new EM1 is $799 on today only deal fire sale.
    I would agree about waiting for Mark II announcement.
    And in your specific case why not to get GX7 again?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I keep asking myself that but even if I wanted to I would have to wait until a decent body comes up on the classifieds.

Used mirrorless, m4/3's in particular are getting harder and harder to come by in Hk these days. I think mine was the last good gx7 on the local online classifieds. Lots of the mid range and higher end models don't last long online, they are snatched up by second hand dealers and sold in small computer malls at prices close to what they cost when they are new, some even try to get away with selling them as new. More and more people getting into mirrorless, locals and tourists (we get plenty of those), means business is good for them and not so much for the individual who wants to get a good deal on a used body.

That's one of the reasons I'm looking hard at this E-m1. Chances are I won't be coming across any more in the future, especially at this price. Plus with all the known issues with this body, I would be reluctant to go for a used one out of warranty.
    I like camera but maybe not what I need or can rally afford. I think it's being able to get it at this price that's got be a bit excited about this and the fact that they are in low supply gives it that sense of urgency that sometimes me to make stupid decisions.
  6. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    I've just spent the afternoon trying to talk myself out of buying this camera and saving the money on more practical expenses but the more I do, the more it makes sense to buy it.

I need a new body and all the other options are similarly priced but not as appealing to me. The gx85 sucks in my hands and it costs more, the gx8 costs more, the Canon G7x and g9x were also two I was considering to replace my m43 cameras but they also cost around the same. I'm not crazy about the em10ii which also costs around the same with the kit lens, the E-m5ii costs too much right now and I hate those articulating screens. The Fuji XT-10, which i was seriously considering for some time now, costs more and with the 18-55 is a little heavier compared to the em-1 with 12-50 or some other prime. So maybe it's not as impractical as I thought.
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I have the E-M10 and I got the E-M1 one month ago because I needed a sealed camera. It is significantly bigger and heavier. It's just a different camera. And this using the 12-40 and the 75-300 lenses. Even if the grip is better the extra weight does not make it much more comfortable. The E-M10 plus grip is probably the best combo for me. The shutter location on the E-M1 is better, EVF is better, yellow peaking is great, I still have to get used to the Fn buttons locations. Much more buttons, dials, etc.

With smaller lenses I used to keep the E-M10 in a waist bag + an extra lens, no way I can do this with the E-M1. I'm still trying to understand how to carry it around without a backpack.

In practice I did not got more "technically better" pictures, quite the opposite to be honest, I'm still trying to figure out why. I expected magic from the 5-axis IBIS.

Today I would have got the E-M5 mk2 if the price was the same (it was much higher).

If you are looking for a small camera the E-M1 is not small. There are just a few cm/mm of difference but to it's like the E-M10 already has the maximum size for a "small camera", maybe a few millimeters too much (TG-4 or LX-5 are the perfect small size for me) and the E-M1 just exceed that threshold.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. a_hit_of_meth

Jan 7, 2012
    Thanks for the input Klorenzo. I went ahead with the purchase yesterday and couldn't be happier. The weight gave me some last minute hesitations but I've been using the same type narrow bodies for the past few years (mostly without problems), that i was finally willing to try a heavier body with a proper grip.

Like you, I think the E-m1 exceeds the threshold of what a small camera be and it does feel heavy but more comfortable compared to my last few bodies as I expected. I was able to carry it around handheld without a strap for three hours with the 12-50 without problems. It's also good to be back to a 5axis ibis, 3 axis on my em10 was fine but noticeably less sharp at 1/10 and below while the 5axis gives me good clean shots up to a second. Being able to process timelapse movies in body (Gx7 didn't) also saves a bunch of time. Not sure what firmware you are using with yours but I just skimmed through some posts where users experienced less sharp or blurrier images after updating to 4.0 which was corrected with an update to 4.1, which my body came with.

The only problem now is it doesn't fit the little manfrotto and caselogic pouches I've been using the past few years for my m43's dating back to my first E-pl3 and most recently my GX-7. I like the little pouches because they are more subtle and don't stick out as much as proper camera bags with all the handles, zips and pockets. I suspect I will have issues with how I carry it around with my regular set up in my duffel or fit it in a backpack when I travel, which I've always been able to do with my other m4/3 bodies which have not had such a large footprint. Not sure if this was the best choice weight wise for hiking either but the sealed body makes it one less thing to worry about outdoors.

Last month I put off buying the XT-10 because I thought that with it's metal kit lens would be too much for me to carry around. Also thought the GX8 was gigantic and now I get something that's bigger than both. I don't know how I convinced myself to go with something above my budget which is bigger than what i personally would prefer but I'm really glad I did.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Despite the long exposure performance and a couple of other foibles, the E-M1 is a special camera. The handling feels very natural to me as soon as I pick it up.
    • Agree Agree x 1