1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 on a monopod, IBIS on or off?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zensu, Jul 14, 2016.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I just bought my first monopod. In over 40 years it's been hand held or tripod but now that I'm older and my favorite lenses are the M. Zuiko PRO Zooms (7-14mm, 12-40mm, 40-150mm) I find hand holding to be more of a burden now after a short while and my Benbo No. 2 (see Heather Angel) is too bulky/heavy to carry very far. The solution I've decided to try first is a wonderful Sirui 424 monopod with an Acratech GV2 ball head. Two wonderfully well made pieces of gear that I'm adapting to but I would like to hear from others who shoot with a monopod as to what opinions you have concerning getting the best IQ and whether you turn IBIS on or off on a monopod.
    Most of the time I'll be using this for will be with the E-M1 and 40-150mm with and without the TC-14 or extension tube for close ups of flowers.
    All opinions are appreciated.
    Bobby

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Personally, I would definitely leave the IBIS on. There's no way a monopod will be 100% rigid, and IBIS is designed to detect and compensate for those micro-movements. The only reason you'd ever turn it off is because there's the possibility the system could get confused if it's on a totally rigid, completely unmoving platform, and compensate for movements that aren't there. But I feel like even that problem is pretty much a thing of the past now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I leave IBIS on on a monopod, always. No issues that I can see.

I've shot maybe 30K frames on a monopod.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yep, IBIS on to auto-detect. I just shot a race this past weekend, E-M1 + 50-200 on a monopod, and set it to compensate for vertical movement only since I was doing panning shots. It worked great.

5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes on, Only time I really use a mono is panning so IBIS / IS is a help.

6. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Off only for long exposures on a tripod. Or if you want to show the kids how things used to be before IBIS :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    On. When I tested IBIS on tripod I found no problems so, if anything, I would expect a little help from it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Better yet, turn it off and see how bad it really is. I just tried this with the 300 f/4 and MC-14 on my EM-10. My IBIS and OIS will be staying on.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    E-M1 on a monopod - leave the image stabilization on.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I also would say leave it on (Auto IS).

11. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I've been thinking about a monopod, are there any shooting/handling techniques (different from tripod usage, I guess) that I need to know about?

12. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I shot Iron Maiden in Perth Arena with my EM1 and 40-150pro, ibis on, both with and without monopod and the only difference I noted was it was easier to keep at eye level for longer, the IQ didn't suffer...

13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I'm in the process of determining how I can get the most use out of assisted holding. So far the monopod slows you down a bit (not as much as a tripod). I'm also learning how to just simply take the camera off the monopod if I can't get to the spot easily, then it's just handheld for a while and when I get fatigued it just as easily can go back to mounting it on the monopod. My photographic process is becoming more thoughtful. So far so good. Maybe I'll get brave one day and post some of my photos! :eek-31:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Related question: Is it safe to turn it off on the E-M1 when doing long exposures on a tripod or is it safe to leave on Auto?

15. PhilippePASCAL

PhilippePASCAL Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    For long exposure, i would leave it OFF. Just because "averaging" will create a more "even" result than a stack of micro-adjustments.

For short, i use IBIS in mode 1 (static mode) instead of "Auto". Because Auto can detect a movement as "panning" and disable IBIS in this direction.

To me, there are two useful modes : S-IS 1 for short normal/tripod, and S-IS 3 for horizontal panning in landscape position (i never pan in portrait or vertically).
    And disabled for long exposure, as i said before.

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I never turn IBIS off these days - even on a tripod. The camera seems very good at sorting things out for itself!

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. PhilippePASCAL

PhilippePASCAL Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2015
    It depends.

For long exposure on tripod, IBIS can create artifacts. Remember IBIS is corrected all over the exposure.
    1/20 second correction is one thing...2 minutes of continuous correction is another ;)
    And there is no use for IBIS with long exposure. Even if wind (or anything) shake the tripod, those "bumps" will be averaged out.
    Whereas if this wind shake the tripod all over the exposure, you CAN (not will) see less resolution, related to useless sensor shift creating a kind of subtle "blur".

Try this in windy long exposure on tripod : OFF and IS1
    You will see what i mean with a bunch of shots ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Many thanks to all who posted!
    Bobby

19. Olivier1559

Olivier1559 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2016