E-M1 Movie IS

Whatiam

Mu-43 Regular
Evere since I got my E-M1 a couple of weeks ago, I've been curious about something: when I press the shutter button half way, there is a very distinct sound that emanates from the camera, which I've assumed to be the IS system working. However, when I press the video record button, there is no sound, though IS is clearly working. Over on a DP Review thread someone stated the belief that the E-M1 (as well as E-M5) uses digital IS for video. Many reviews of the E-M10 state that it uses digital IS to supplement the 3-axis sensor shift IS in movie mode, and that the image was slightly cropped. That made me curious, so I checked for cropping on my E-M1, and sure enough with movie IS on the image is slightly cropped. So how exactly is IS working when recording video? Is the 5-axis sensor shift working at all, and if it's digital, why has there not been any discussion of it before the E-M10? Just curious.

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm sure someone will respond with a better answer but I believe the camera looks for motion and uses adjacent pixels to keep the image from shaking (to a point). That is why there is a slight bit of cropping. I know videocams did this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I'm not 100% certain, but I think the IBIS in the E-M1 in video mode defaults from the five axis stabilisation to a lower one (as it would possibly interfere with video recording), so it's a tad less noticeable, But it is definitely using the IBIS and not software stabilisation.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom