1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

E-M1 Movie IS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Whatiam, Mar 29, 2014.

1. Whatiam

Whatiam Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2014
    Evere since I got my E-M1 a couple of weeks ago, I've been curious about something: when I press the shutter button half way, there is a very distinct sound that emanates from the camera, which I've assumed to be the IS system working. However, when I press the video record button, there is no sound, though IS is clearly working. Over on a DP Review thread someone stated the belief that the E-M1 (as well as E-M5) uses digital IS for video. Many reviews of the E-M10 state that it uses digital IS to supplement the 3-axis sensor shift IS in movie mode, and that the image was slightly cropped. That made me curious, so I checked for cropping on my E-M1, and sure enough with movie IS on the image is slightly cropped. So how exactly is IS working when recording video? Is the 5-axis sensor shift working at all, and if it's digital, why has there not been any discussion of it before the E-M10? Just curious.

2. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I'm sure someone will respond with a better answer but I believe the camera looks for motion and uses adjacent pixels to keep the image from shaking (to a point). That is why there is a slight bit of cropping. I know videocams did this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm not 100% certain, but I think the IBIS in the E-M1 in video mode defaults from the five axis stabilisation to a lower one (as it would possibly interfere with video recording), so it's a tad less noticeable, But it is definitely using the IBIS and not software stabilisation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.