E-M1 mounting issues with certain lens adapters

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Jonathan F/2, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I'm wondering if anyone else is noticing issues using various adapters onto the E-M1 and not being able to mount them? I find the E-M1's weather sealing makes for a very tight fit and that some adapters will just not mount properly on the E-M1 despite working fine on other M43 bodies. I've already had issues with a extension tube and focal reducer adapter. Has anyone figured a way to make them fit if they've experienced these problems? Thanks for any help!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,
    Some are very tight, some are too loose.

The Zhongyi focal reducer I got is very tight.

The only one I really had trouble with was a cheap adapter where the hole for the locking pin on the body was too small and wouldn't lock in place... Fortunately aluminum is soft; a drill bit solved the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    my findings is that the E-M1 is tighter to mount adapters but not in the "twist" action (friction) but in the locating and engaging the bayonet itself.
    I have in some cases shortened the flanges on some adapters (via Dremel) to make the "wings" just a bit shorter and have an easier time when trying to engage the bayonet
    The same problem is over 3 different E-M1

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Super weird...an adapter that wouldn't fit a couple days ago, now fits! The only difference is the weather in my area has cooled down a bit. The E-M1 mount is definitely tighter though and I suspect because of the rubber gasket they place behind the mount.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is no rubber behind the mount on the E-M1 (that would have any effect on fit) as the weather sealing that could make a lens a tighter to fit is on the lens itself, but what may cause the tight fit are the leaf type springs behind the camera's mount, designed to keep the lens fit firm without any sloppiness, which does ensure the weather sealing ring on the lens does remain a weather seal between lens & body.

6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    As Ross said: There's no weather sealing on the E-M1's body. The weather sealing is usually on the lens side.

I put a small amount of Boeshield on my mounts and then twist the adapter on and off a few times before I wipe both mounts with a tissue. The surfaces you want to look at are the flat of the circular mount and the area the leaf springs engage on. A little bit of metal usually wears off the adapter on the flat front of the circular mount surface. I repeat this a few times until the adapter feels "just right" and then apply a final coat and let it dry before I wipe the excess off. I've done this with a bunch of Nikon F to Canon EF adapters on my Speedbooster Ultra. The same was done to the Speedbooster Ultra and the body of my E-M1II. I'm pretty happy with the results. A bunch of really tight adapters basically slip on with just the right amount of friction but no play.

7. kbouk

kbouk Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Greece
    Just pass your finger behind your ears or on the side of your nose and then apply your face oil to camera's bayonet, problem fix.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    Actually out of curiosity, I removed the E-M1 mount and I can confirm there is a rubber gasket on the camera side of the mount. :D

9. Ross the fiddler

Yes, of course there is a seal there, but it doesn't affect the lens fit though, does it? :rolleyes: :p

10. Ross the fiddler

That probably works but still sounds gross. ;)

11. Ross the fiddler

Please quote it all, "There is no rubber behind the mount on the E-M1 (that would have any effect on fit)", otherwise we get the contesting responses. :daz: :D

12. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    D'oh, what I ment to short-pseudo-quote was that there is no gasket or sealing feature that is located on the mount that seals the lens to the mount (that would mess with the fit of the lens to the mount).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ross the fiddler

Yeah, I know. :D

14. Reflector

Aug 31, 2013
    If I borrow your idea and then launch a high production value Kickstarter campaign to package nose oil into $100 little microjars while claiming it is the ALL-natüralë: organic lubricant for your mount, would you be OK with a 50/50 split on the profits?

/s, or at least I hope it is and nobody actually tries this and makes millions.

• Funny Funny x 1