E-M1 Mode Dial & MySets

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bassman, Mar 31, 2014.

1. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    One of the slick features of the E-M1 is the ability to program various positions on the mode dial to load a MySet. With four MySets available, this gives one immediate access to four of their favorite setups by using the dial most suited to such a selection. There are only two issues in my mind: the labels on the mode dial will necessarily be incorrect, thus requiring you to exercise some personal memory (where did I hide MySet 3?), and the obvious need to decide the settings for each MySet.

I'd be interested to know how others are using this feature.

I've set MySet 1 to be my Base configuration: Aperture, ISO 200, f/8, Raw+JPG, etc.

I think I might use the other MySets for:

(MySet 2) Landscape/Tripod - Manual, ISO 200, 1/200, f/8, IBIS off, timer @ 2sec., etc.
    (MySet 3) Low light indoors - Aperture, ISO 1600, f/1.8, etc.
    (MySet 4) Exposure bracketing - Aperture, ISO 200, f/8, IBIS off, Bracketing @ 5F/3.0EV, timer @ 2sec., etc.

And for mode positions along with my silly memory jogs:
    ART = MySet 1 ("A" is the first letter ...)
    SCN = MySet 2 ("Scenary")
    Picture Story = MySet 3 ("Stories of the family")
    P = MySet 4 ("the other position")

Should anyone from Olympus be reading this and care, I'd suggest a feature enhancement: the camera could allow you to custom label the MySets; it shows e.g. "My1" on the LCD when you have a programmed Mode position selected; I'd like to be able to put my own 3 characters into the display instead. So I'd use "Bas" instead of "My1", "Tri" for "My2", etc.

How are you using this feature?

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My 'base' configuration is auto-ISO, aperture priority, f/5.6 (no need for f/8.0 in MFT land), center AF point, 4 fps continuous shooting. I generally just leave the camera in that mode for A, so don't have a programmed myset for that. My two programmed mysets are a black and white setting (single shot, auto-ISO, center AF, wide open aperture) and a quick-access to bracketing (5 shots, 1 EV apart, manual mode, auto ISO, f5.6, 1/250 shutter speed, full speed FPS). It's less critical with the E-M1's extra bracketing button, but it is faster for running off handheld bracketed shots for HDR work. The one I keep meaning to add is a full manual, f/5.6, fixed base ISO, with AF disengaged from the shutter button for use on a tripod. I'm not a big fan of back button AF for general use (I've tried it, can't really get used to it), but it's handy when you're setting critical manual focus on a tripod landscape shot.

What I still want to try out is something Michael Reichman mentiones in his E-M1 'camera of the year' post on LuLa, namely setting an 'action' mySet to one of the function buttons, e.g. shutter priority, high speed burst, wide open, 1/800 of a second, C-AF. Immediate access in case something unexpected flips past.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    The reason I have MySet 1 as the Base is that I always know where the camera is set when I turn it on. On the other hand, leaving it in A mode while I'm at a scene or sight keeps the mods I've made across power on/off cycles, while the mode dial (by definition) resets to the MySet each time you turn it on.

4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I use the MySet entires as starting points for very different types of shoots. With our Canon DSLRs there were only 3 custom sets of parameters that could be saved.

MySet 1: landscapes, still-life, architecture
    MySet 2: wildlife (typically larger mammals)
    MySet 3: fast moving wildlife or birds (works for kids)
    MySet 4: macro

5. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    1 Set assigned to "Art" since i shoot raw and never use that pre-filtered junk.

i can control other parameters reasonably quick enough - or my shooting "modes" have enough parametric overlap - that it is quicker to do it the "manual" way than spinning the mode dial back and forth

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.