E-M1 Mode Dial & MySets

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bassman, Mar 31, 2014.

1. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    One of the slick features of the E-M1 is the ability to program various positions on the mode dial to load a MySet. With four MySets available, this gives one immediate access to four of their favorite setups by using the dial most suited to such a selection. There are only two issues in my mind: the labels on the mode dial will necessarily be incorrect, thus requiring you to exercise some personal memory (where did I hide MySet 3?), and the obvious need to decide the settings for each MySet.

I'd be interested to know how others are using this feature.

I've set MySet 1 to be my Base configuration: Aperture, ISO 200, f/8, Raw+JPG, etc.

I think I might use the other MySets for:

(MySet 2) Landscape/Tripod - Manual, ISO 200, 1/200, f/8, IBIS off, timer @ 2sec., etc.
    (MySet 3) Low light indoors - Aperture, ISO 1600, f/1.8, etc.
    (MySet 4) Exposure bracketing - Aperture, ISO 200, f/8, IBIS off, Bracketing @ 5F/3.0EV, timer @ 2sec., etc.

And for mode positions along with my silly memory jogs:
    ART = MySet 1 ("A" is the first letter ...)
    SCN = MySet 2 ("Scenary")
    Picture Story = MySet 3 ("Stories of the family")
    P = MySet 4 ("the other position")

Should anyone from Olympus be reading this and care, I'd suggest a feature enhancement: the camera could allow you to custom label the MySets; it shows e.g. "My1" on the LCD when you have a programmed Mode position selected; I'd like to be able to put my own 3 characters into the display instead. So I'd use "Bas" instead of "My1", "Tri" for "My2", etc.

How are you using this feature?
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    My 'base' configuration is auto-ISO, aperture priority, f/5.6 (no need for f/8.0 in MFT land), center AF point, 4 fps continuous shooting. I generally just leave the camera in that mode for A, so don't have a programmed myset for that. My two programmed mysets are a black and white setting (single shot, auto-ISO, center AF, wide open aperture) and a quick-access to bracketing (5 shots, 1 EV apart, manual mode, auto ISO, f5.6, 1/250 shutter speed, full speed FPS). It's less critical with the E-M1's extra bracketing button, but it is faster for running off handheld bracketed shots for HDR work. The one I keep meaning to add is a full manual, f/5.6, fixed base ISO, with AF disengaged from the shutter button for use on a tripod. I'm not a big fan of back button AF for general use (I've tried it, can't really get used to it), but it's handy when you're setting critical manual focus on a tripod landscape shot.

What I still want to try out is something Michael Reichman mentiones in his E-M1 'camera of the year' post on LuLa, namely setting an 'action' mySet to one of the function buttons, e.g. shutter priority, high speed burst, wide open, 1/800 of a second, C-AF. Immediate access in case something unexpected flips past.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The reason I have MySet 1 as the Base is that I always know where the camera is set when I turn it on. On the other hand, leaving it in A mode while I'm at a scene or sight keeps the mods I've made across power on/off cycles, while the mode dial (by definition) resets to the MySet each time you turn it on.
  4. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    I use the MySet entires as starting points for very different types of shoots. With our Canon DSLRs there were only 3 custom sets of parameters that could be saved.

MySet 1: landscapes, still-life, architecture
    MySet 2: wildlife (typically larger mammals)
    MySet 3: fast moving wildlife or birds (works for kids)
    MySet 4: macro
  5. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    1 Set assigned to "Art" since i shoot raw and never use that pre-filtered junk.

i can control other parameters reasonably quick enough - or my shooting "modes" have enough parametric overlap - that it is quicker to do it the "manual" way than spinning the mode dial back and forth