E-M1 Mode Dial Function and MySet causing 'A' to show when in 'P' mode

barry

Super Moderator
Hi,

On my E-M1, firmware 1.4, after a full reset I re-set all my settings, saved them into Myset1.

I have the 'Mode Dial Function' set to
Myset1 -> P

This was working fine before, but now when I go to 'P', the LCD says 'A', and My1 (previously it would say 'P' and My1).

My guess is this is because I had the dial on 'A' when I saved the Myset.
Clearing the myset, and saving it again with the mode dial on 'P' seems to fix the problem.

I got into this mess because I was having trouble with setting up a myset for Movie mode, etc., as turning back to 'P' would reload myset1 when I was trying to set up a new myset.
Anyways, I'll try to be more careful I guess.

Barry

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That is how it is supposed to work.
Here are my notes to myself on the subject.

Shooting Menu 1
- Reset/Myset:
-- Press OK then Yes to change the camera to the stored settings.
-- Press Right arrow then Set to store new settings, or Reset to clear saved settings.
-- When changing settings, load the old settings, make the changes, make sure the PASM wheel and settings are correct, then save the settings.

But I advise against assigning a Myset to PAS or M. I have mine assigned to the last three, Multi, SCN and ART. That way when in standard settings (Myset1 in my case) you can change to PAS or M and still have your Myset apply. I don't assign Myset1 to a wheel position. But Myset1 automatically applies again once I rotate the wheel away from the three assigned Myset positions.

barry

Super Moderator
Thanks...

afaict, the Myset on 'P' sticks when I change to A/S/M which I don't have MySets on.

I have one on 'Art', with AF light and beeper turned off, for stealthy museum shots, and one on the Blocks icon, for tripod (IS off).

I had one on video but I couldn't get the red button remapping working right, so I've forgone it.

BTW, I can't find a way to save a myset after turning to Art or SCN mode, etc. (I can save it from 'P' but then it says 'P' when I'm in that mode.)
I don't want to start from scratch to save a new one.

Thanks,
Barry

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I think you may be confusing two things:
1. What the Myset does - for example is it going to activate mode P or mode A.
2. What wheel position is going to activate the Myset, for example Art, (or P or A - not recommended).

By assigning wheel position P to a Myset you are confusing things greatly. A Myset applied to P will not stick when you move to A. You can confirm this by looking in the viewfinder, lower left. For example if you created a mode M Myset, and assigned that Myset to P, you could no longer use mode P - unless you created another Myset using Mode P, and then assigned that to another wheel postion such as M! Utterly confusing. I hope my explanation makes sense.

First you need to decide exactly what the Myset is going to contain. I assume you don't want a Myset for Art or SCN mode - I would never use those. So they are perfect as wheel positions to be used to activate Mysets. The wheel position when you save the Myset determines what mode you will be in when you load the Myset - and it has nothing to do with what wheel postion will activate the Myset.

Second you assign the Myset to be activated by a wheel position. This is in Custom - B Button/Dial/Lever - Mode Dial Function

I hope this helps you get it sorted out.

barry

Super Moderator
Hi,

I know the 'my1' disappears when I move to 'A', but my settings seem to stick: ISO, back button focus, ...

I am using the 'Art' mode position for myset3, as described above.

I didn't think there were enough 'unused' modes to put all the mysets on them; I want to leave iA alone for other shooters.

The only thing confusing is:
a. if I program myset1 to 'P' when the wheel is on 'A', then moving the wheel to 'P' still shows 'A' on the screen
b. the same for 'Art' mode, etc... it shows 'P' now.

It's not a big deal, just a little confusing / frustrating. I did a full reset to try to see if something was wrong, not realizing that would wipe all the mysets as well :(

Thanks,
Barry

barry

Super Moderator
Oh, the other frustrating thing is that re-mapping the red video button doesn't work well; if you have 1 myset with it mapped to peaking, and other mapped to video record, it doesn't switch when switching between mysets with the Mode Dial Function.
However, I already complained about that in another thread.

The workarounds are:
1. don't put a myset on video mode (but then you don't get the controls the way you want)
2. go in to the menus to select the myset each time (but that's risky as the myset screen is confusing and easy to accidentally overwrite a set)

Barry

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The reason the settings appear to stick is that those were the settings you had set when you didn't have a Myset selected by turning the wheel, They happen to be the same, which is not surprising.

To prove it for yourself, turn the wheel to A which doesn't have a Myset assigned. Now make some different setting in a menu. Now turn it to P, which you have assigned a Myset to. Check the menu setting you made, it won't be there. Now turn the wheel back to A. The setting you made will be back.

This is why I have Myset1 set to all my standard settings, but have not assigned a wheel position to it. If I do need to I reload them from the menu. But I don't need to do that normally, as the three other Mysets assigned to wheel positions simply change things when the wheel is set to that position. When I put the wheel back to P (or A S or M) I am back to my normal settings anyway, no need to load Myset1.

I only need three special Mysets, and they are assigned to the three positions I would never use, Multi, SCN and ART.

A final note. If you assign a Myset to a button, such as one on the front of the camera, pressing the button once will apply the Myset, pressing it again will remove the Myset, so you are back as you were. Same idea as the way the wheel works.

I have not seen any of this explained properly anywhere.

Latest threads

Top Bottom