E-M1 mkII now available for pre-order: $1,999 in the US

What do you feel about the pricing of the E-M1 mkII?

• Priced right, I ordered (or will order) one

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Expensive, but I still ordered (or will order) one

Votes: 22 17.6%
  • Expensive, I was going to get it, but not any more

Votes: 39 31.2%
  • I wasn't going to get it anyways, so really the price is not important to me

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • Olympus broke my faith in humanity, I will never take another photo again

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Not for me at this price, but I'll buy it later when the price is lower.

Votes: 39 31.2%

• Total voters

tkbslc

Super Moderator
I like m4/3 as much as the next guy, but I sure hate being asked to pay such a hefty premium for using the smallest sensors.

The Fuji XT-2 is $400 cheaper. The Nikon D500 is $200 cheaper. The Nikon D750 is cheaper!

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
$2000 US dollars!? :(

Well, there goes any thoughts of me buying one any time soon, lol. thats going to end around the same price as a Pentax K1 here in aus and more than the xpro2.

Sniksekk

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think Olympus angle is this:
Our new camera is a game-changer, so early adopters will have to pay a lot of the RD price.
That and combined with small deliverance cause of the earthquake might be a reason for this price.

Or they only want the real professionals with deep pockets buying this camera and the rest of us can have em5mkIII/em10.

evilnim

Mu-43 Veteran
£1849 body only! Bloody hell. 60% more than my EM-1 body when I bought it. Prices me out instantly. Ah well.

Let's me wait a while til the reviews come out, the foibles are clear and the bugs are ironed out. Every cloud...

WGPhotography

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
I've pre-ordered it. My thinking is I'd rather have the option and then once the reviews come in, I can decide properly whether to go ahead or not. In the past, I haven't pre-ordered and it's taken ages to get my hands on the thing I want.

£1849 is actually, dare I say, not as bad as I thought. I expected £2000. I was going to go with the 12-40mm package but I've gone body only instead, as a used 12-40 will save me around £100.

I've pre-ordered it. My thinking is I'd rather have the option and then once the reviews come in, I can decide properly whether to go ahead or not. In the past, I haven't pre-ordered and it's taken ages to get my hands on the thing I want.

£1849 is actually, dare I say, not as bad as I thought. I expected £2000. I was going to go with the 12-40mm package but I've gone body only instead, as a used 12-40 will save me around £100.
I preordered, too, as did my wife. $1999.00 from B&H. 30 Day, no questions asked return, so I'll give it a go. Ships on Dec 2 if we're in the first lot, pending availability.

About $200 more then I was expecting, but should make my used E-M1 a little more valuable when I put it up for sale.

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
As usual we pay a premium in the U.K.
£1849 at today's exchange rate is $2264 us !
Too much for me at the moment
I will be waiting for a year and a half before buying
Might buy another Mk1 for next year to keep me going

Last edited:

benjimouse

Mu-43 Regular
$2k usd means $3.2k nzd, and we never get refurbs/deals/etc that other countries see. I can afford it, but I can't ignore I'd be getting better value from sony/zeiss or fuji.

is1971de

Mu-43 Regular
However it seems that unlike Panasonic with their launch of the G80/G81 in Europe they are not doing the Grip free with redemption, you have to buy it on it's own. For the G80 that was almost £250 discount.

WGPhotography

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Wayne
$2k usd means $3.2k nzd, and we never get refurbs/deals/etc that other countries see. I can afford it, but I can't ignore I'd be getting better value from sony/zeiss or fuji.
It's the GX8 I'm personally comparing to. There's a couple of things I like over it (focus stack, pre-focus) but the GX8 is so good, it'll have to be really good in reviews for me to carry the pre-order through to the end.

pake

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Teemu
I think Olympus angle is this:
Our new camera is a game-changer, so early adopters will have to pay a lot of the RD price.
That and combined with small deliverance cause of the earthquake might be a reason for this price.

Or they only want the real professionals with deep pockets buying this camera and the rest of us can have em5mkIII/em10.
Yet no one (else) is claiming it to be a game-changer. It was supposed to be that but they failed. If anything, it just catches up the competitors' offerings (CF/CF+tracking, dual slots, 4k video, battery etc.). No revolution this time - only incremental upgrades.

Massively overpriced. I'm just glad I wasn't planning buying it anyway (because of the lovely swivel screen). :biggrin:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I preordered, too, as did my wife. $1999.00 from B&H. 30 Day, no questions asked return, so I'll give it a go. Ships on Dec 2 if we're in the first lot, pending availability.

About $200 more then I was expecting, but should make my used E-M1 a little more valuable when I put it up for sale (B&H price for E-M1 is now back up to $1,299)
Imagine if they had priced it at another $264 which is what we are going to have to pay here in the U.K. - disappointed would probably not cover it !

sdb123

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I think the UK price could have been worse, particularly when you see the prices for other countries outside of the US.

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
problem solved. I was thinking getting EM1M2 + some Pro zooms, now I'm going to stay with my EM5M2 + bunch of primes.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom