E-M1 mkI - to fix or not

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I dropped my em10 about 12 inches onto the floor and it broke the shutter, with no visible damage to the case. £150 for the local camera repair shop to replace it, and well worth it. I had about another year before I traded it and bought an Em1ii
The problem with the repair (to every fault) is that expensive camera and budget camera has almost same repair price (PEN-F vs. E-M10 II about ~20 € difference).

Personally with the great price of 300 € I rather bought a new E-M10 II with 2,5 years warranty and new battery.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
200 vs. 1,000. I would do the repair.
I did similar. Repairing my 70-200/4 for $500, rather than buying a new one for $1,400.
With a camera to me it is a bit different than a lens. With a lens they fix everything needed and lenses last a long time.

With a camera buttons etc. can break later. Or anything else similar.

For example my shutter in a budget camera had ~40k shutter count. It's not very much but still quite much.

Too much use in 4 years for me to pay for the repair to this particular model when I could get a new one for 135 € more. Funny that the next day the shop sold it for 50 € more.

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
EM-1 has a known issue with the mechanical shutter sticking.

First time it happened to me, I was shooting on a subzero day, well away from my vehicle. Didn't know what happened. Went back to my vehicle, did a web search, and found I'm not the only one, the mechanical shutter hangs in cold weather, LCD goes black, and you think the camera is dead. Until you strike the baseplate with your hand or suitable object. That day, struck the baseplate with my hand, and it came back - until the next exposure, when it all started again. By the end of that shoot, I had a sore hand.

Two of my EM-1's have this. They can stick up to 60 degrees F! Solution is baseplate striking, EFCS or repair/replace. EM-1's can be had for as little as $200-250 USD on the used market, so repairing gets to be a fairly expensive proposition.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran

First time it happened to me, I was shooting on a subzero day, well away from my vehicle. Didn't know what happened. Went back to my vehicle, did a web search, and found I'm not the only one, the mechanical shutter hangs in cold weather, LCD goes black, and you think the camera is dead. Until you strike the baseplate with your hand or suitable object. That day, struck the baseplate with my hand, and it came back - until the next exposure, when it all started again. By the end of that shoot, I had a sore hand.

Two of my EM-1's have this. They can stick up to 60 degrees F! Solution is baseplate striking, EFCS or repair/replace. EM-1's can be had for as little as $200-250 USD on the used market, so repairing gets to be a fairly expensive proposition.
That's interesting information on a Pro level camera. It seems that Olympus hasn't got this problem anymore.

Personally I also find this repair price for such an old camera too much.

Only if you really need that E-M1 camera and don't have the money for upgrade I would do it.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend

two original EM1’s and original EM5 - all winter long with many 6+ hour trips in average of -20 to -40 and never one problem with the gear

also have never heard of this “well known problem”

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I joked to the Olympus representative that I might do a collective experiment on how long Olympus budget cameras shutter will last. And report to a forum.

Basically just shoot maximum bursts as long as it lasts. :)

He didn't say they won't fix it for the same cost. Just that he doesn't suggest to do it.

Not sure what I will do with the old E-M10 II. It works, just the LCD doesn't almost at all.
Please do what you suggested, and report back to this forum and tell us how long it lasted.

This would really be in the interest of science, and the advancement of humankind. There might even be a Nobel in applied physics in it for you, if you play your cards right!

So, what is the current count, and how many days (?) before it expires? And at what count? Can you automate the bursts? Or will you have to use a gaffa tape kludge? All of these facts are of interest!

I've seen a report of an E-M10 with 320K actuations. Can you beat that? Would Guinness be interested, even if you don't get your Nobel prize?
  • The shutter of the E-M1 is rated for 150.000 actuations.
  • The shutter of the E-M5 is rated for 100.000 actuations.
So, how many clicks is there in the E-M10?
We're all waiting. Please don't let us down!

Last edited:

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
two original EM1’s and original EM5 - all winter long with many 6+ hour trips in average of -20 to -40 and never one problem with the gear

also have never heard of this “well known problem”
If you Google "EM1 shutter stuck" you will get a lot of hits and users having this problem. Problem is out there, but I don't know how "Well known" it is.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Please do what you suggested, and report back to this forum and tell us how long it lasted.

This would really be in the interest of science, and the advancement of humankind. There might even be a Nobel in applied physics in it for you, if you play your cards right!

So, what is the current count, and how many days (?) before it expires? And at what count? Can you automate the bursts? Or will you have to use a gaffa tape kludge? All of these facts are of interest!

I've seen a report of an E-M10 with 320K actuations. Can you beat that? Would Guinness be interested, even if you don't get your Nobel prize?
  • The shutter of the E-M1 is rated for 150.000 actuations.
  • The shutter of the E-M5 is rated for 100.000 actuations.
So, how many clicks is there in the E-M10?
We're all waiting. Please don't let us down!
I'm not sure if you are mocking me, but the consideration to break the shutter myself was more a speculation & joke than anything else. Would take some effort for sure.

Now that I bought a new one I won't break it.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I never said "well known problem." I said "E-M1 has a known issue..." Please, stop the misquote.
These kinds of known problems are very important when considering repairing an older camera. If the shutter gets stuck one has to pay for another repair.

E-M10 II has a known issue with the LCD going black and it happened to me.
But I still took the risk and bought a new one. At least I have 2,5 years of warranty. 300 € was just so cheap for this great camera.

Erich_H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
I'm not sure if you are mocking me, but the consideration to break the shutter myself was more a speculation & joke than anything else. Would take some effort for sure.

Now that I bought a new one I won't break it.
I'm almost never mocking anyone most of the time.
It almost never happens very often at all sometimes. Seriously! I'm not the mocking kind of guy.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom